Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality of fabric >

Quality of fabric

Quality of fabric

Old 02-26-2024, 12:29 PM

Like Onebyone, I will buy from online shops, especially if I'm looking for a certain fabric that I can't find at my LQS. I will add that I can get better prices online by checking their sales and clearance but I also like the social aspect of going to my LQS.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:45 PM

Most of the quilt stores in my area have gone out of business except for Joann's and a local quilt store that has been here for decades. They have a lot of business and they do more than just sell fabric...have classes, books, beads, etc. I can to travel to another city to get good quality quilt fabric too. There was several quilt stores in my area, but when the price of fabric soared, they all went out of business. The is a fabric store for fabric other than quilting not too far away too. It is not uncommon for me to drive to another city to buy fabric. My quilting friend and I go shopping for fabric and have lunch so it's a good day for us!

I lament that the cost of fabric has caused a lot of women to have to give up quilting, especially the younger gals who do not have a stash to fall back on. I'm grateful to have online quilting friends to share our passion with.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:49 PM

I agree with those who have found JoAnn fabrics to be a lesser quality -- thicker, stiffer as a general rule. My local LQS went out of business, and since then I've only shopped on line. I can't say that I've noticed the designer fabrics getting thinner. What I do notice is that the fabrics from different manufacturers, and even different designers within a manufacturer, have different qualities -- some are thinner and silkier, some get a flannely feeling after washing, some fray more than others. I've wondered who specifies the parameters for manufacturing, and all of the factors that lead to a particular fabric's various qualities.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:18 PM

I am about finished with a quilt that has the "cheaper" fabric and the expensive fabric and the cheaper is working great but the expensive is unraveling something awful. I try to get hobby lobby or joann's fabrics anymore. At least if they fray you don't feel you have thrown so much money away. I am very disappointed in the expensive fabrics.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:33 PM

I really haven't bought much fabric in the recent years. I think my most dependable quality fabric has been moda. I love the feel of northcott's fabric and do like the quality of it but it has a softer feel and I find it a bit harder to stitch on. Ha, I am laughing at myself...I just pulled out about a dozen fabrics from my stash and basically, I do have a wide variety. Most of what I have I did buy at local quilt shops where I have done business with them, and they know me by name. But anyway, Yes I have been burned a couple of times with fabric from the quilt shops but more often from the chain stores. However, it really depends on your resources and also on what the intended use of the quilt is. I always look at the sale and clearance fabric no matter where I am. If I find something in the sale bin that I think will make a great backing "for something" and it of a great enough quantity and good enough price, yep it goes home with me. Most of the time, I have no idea of what it is going to be the backing for. All of my recent Bonnie Hunter mysteries have one of those sale finds as backing. Yep, just about anything you get will go with a very scrappy top.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Washing yardage: I’ve not tried this yet but I will soon as I found it interesting. The article said up to 12 yards can be washed this way -
1). Open yardage & refold with selvages are on left & right & piece is WOF across. Then turn cut edges to inside (so it’s not exposed) and begin folding accordion style (I suspect no more than 12-15 inches). Piece should roughly be 12-15” x 42. Use 5 shiny new safety pins (no rust) on each selvage going through all layers. Wash fabric and dry. This will eliminate twists that can be hard to iron out. Please update us if you attempt it. This came from a blog I follow “From My Carolina Home”
I have followed Carole at "My Carolina Home" for several years now and she is honest, clever, and I would trust that this method would work. A little effort on the front end of this washing method that might just make the final press and use of the fabric easier.
Here is the link from My Carolina Home with photos to see the process. Originally from Kaye Wood! https://frommycarolinahome.com/2018/...brilliant-tip/
Old 02-27-2024, 04:33 AM

When I buy onlne off Facebook sites where it is usually cheaper, I always make sure it is name brand fabric such as Riley Blake, Windham, Moda, Judie Rothermel, American Jane (Sandy Klop), or Marcus. If I can't see the maker, then I won't buy. Joanns is usually for embrodery or sewing machine thread for me.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:58 AM

If the fabric at JoAnn’s has the “stiff” feel, I just won’t buy it. There are other better choices I can buy there.
Presently I’m sewing cream colored $13/yard fabric from a Quilt Store and my navy pants are covered with strings. Disappointing.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:49 PM

I have been going through my stash and I can tell a difference between my printed cottons and flannels. The older fabrics are heavier and a nicer hand. I haven't worked with my batiks long enough to notice a different.

It's unfortunate that fabric quality has lessened over the years. A number of our local shops closed during and after the pandemic. I have to drive an hour to my nearest shop. I do a road trip every summer to visit new and favorite quilt shops in my state. I try to shop from them online as much as possible. However, I usually shop on the sale pages.