Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 02-29-2024, 05:42 AM

I am liking all your hometown stories. What better way to learn about our country.
And home-town mom & pop eateries are the best. When traveling that is what we look for - a place where the locals eat at, meet up with their neighbors, and share some great home cooking.
Happy 29th
Old 02-29-2024, 07:08 AM

Leap Frog! My goodness, how fun that was as a child! That brought back wonderful memories.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:32 PM

Last call for hometown stories. If you have been holding back...........tomorrow, March 1st is your last chance to tell us about your home town and what about it has stolen your hears. Join in the fun! I will be drawing a name on March 2 and announce the winner Saturday evening. The winner's treasures will go out in the mail next week.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:33 AM

I grew up in a mid-size town called Lake Jackson. Its claim to fame: It has streets named “This Way,” “That Way,” “Any Way,” and one in front of a church called “His Way.” I’ll sometimes see street signs from there, especially the one with the intersection of This Way and That Way, pop up on “Interesting Tidbits” kind of sites or lists.

Another neat thing about Lake Jackson is that the city planners tried to maintain as many of the large, beautiful oak trees as possibly when designing the streets layout and neighborhoods. It’s a very pretty town.

I’ve returned to visit family who still live there, and the place has grown a lot, but it still has its iconic street names and lots of trees.

I’ve enjoyed reading the hometown stories, but please exclude me from the prize roulette, since I won one of the contests last year. I just wanted to share.

In quilt news… life is rough right at the moment, and I haven’t had much time to do more than slice fabric and prepare my envelopes, but things will get better soon!
Old 03-01-2024, 05:16 AM

Default 2024 Birthday Candy Swap

Good morning fellow quilters! I've enjoyed reading all about your hometowns! As for me, I lived most of my life in Akron, Ohio. Many may know it as the home of The Soap Box Derby! In High School our Marching Band performed marching down tge steep hill in ceremonies that proceeded the races. Young people from near and far built their cars and competed in the races. Akron was also home to the Rubber Factories; Firestone Tire and Rubber, Akron General Tire and Rubber that later became known as Continental Tire, Goodrich Tire and Rubber, and Goodyear Tire and Rubber. Although most have moved their production elsewhere, many of the buildings were repurposed and remain. Many of you may have seen The Goodyear Blimp flying in your skies! It is a sight to see when you're standing next to it! The Blimp and other Dirigibles were built in the Hanger adjacent to The Akron Municipal Airport. Akron University has consumed much of the downtown area with E J Thomas Hall Performing Arts Center. The Quaker Oats Silos were repurposed into quaint shopping, hotel and dining experiences, but is now dormitories for University students. When I was in High School with windows open late afternoon, you could get the aroma of oats roasting (smelled like popcorn) and bread baking at The Wonderbread Factory close by. Stan Hywet is an Estate built by the Seiberling Family in 1918, I believe. There are beautiful gardens to walk through and you can tour the mansion. Later the Carriage House became the home to the Founder of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Time changes so many things, but I will always have fond memories of growing up in Akron.
I'm now living in Winter Park, Florida which is a town just North of Orlando. All of you know that Orlando is home to Mickey and Minnie Mouse; Disneyworld, Epcot, Universal and SeaWorld. Much to do, if one chooses to visit the parks.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Here is a sneak peak of how it's turning out. Way, way better than I expected from the colors that were left in my candi stash.

Sent the picture to my DD and she is already in love with it.
love that pattern great job. Looks wonderful. Hugs!
Old 03-01-2024, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Quossom, sorry to hear life is rough for you right now. I pray the problems resolve and you are feeling better soon. Thanks for sharing about Lake Jackson. Those streets are funny!

Brenda, growing up in Akron sounds like it was wonderful. I wonder where Quaker Oats are made now.... not overseas, I hope.

These stories make me want to travel and see parts of the U.S. I haven't seen.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:31 PM

Happylab, your candies arrived. Thank you! That’s everyone. Thank you, all!!!

1. Sewbizgirl
2. JENNR8R
3. Brenda W
4. Heathermom2opmc
5. Patrick’s Mom
6. Rebaquilts

7. Pamelor
8. Macybaby
9. SusieQOH
10. Gaijin
11. Travelinggramma
12. Logcabin82
13. Quossum
14. WMUTeach
15. Terriamn
16. Hav4boys
17. Crispy Frog
18. Ibex94
19. Happylab

Old 03-01-2024, 05:43 PM

Quossum, new year, new opportunities for wins. I will honor your request but only for this contest! Those street names are a hoot. It reminded me of Atlanta with their many variations of "Peach" in street names.

Brenda, I have been to Akron to conduct teacher trainings and I recall the Soap Box Derby from when I was a kiddo. We had a local race that was a qualifier to go to Akron for the "Nationals". Our race ran down a hill in the middle Western Michigan University's campus. A BIG event each summer here in Kazoo. Now, WMU and Akron are in the same sports conference, MAC and play each other in football and I think basketball.

Whoo Hoo, our last February Birthday package arrived. Thanks everyone.

Now, on with our evening and weekend plans. Have a wonderful week-end and take time to enjoy more than your quilt room. Spring seems to be trying to pop it's head up early around my backyard marsh. Maybe a walk to enjoy the outdoors might be an option.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:33 AM

And the winner of our Hometown Stories Contest is.....................SusieQOH.

New York to Ohio and a "chicken" that needs folks close by. Ah, good memories. Your package will go in the mail early next week. Congratulations!

Thank you everyone who contributed stories. It was delightful to read your stories. We now know each other just a little better.