Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to whiten aged white fabric >

how to whiten aged white fabric

how to whiten aged white fabric

Old 03-06-2024, 01:22 PM

Default how to whiten aged white fabric

I have been fortunate to come by a totally cross-stitched queen size quilt top. It is beautiful but it is apparently quite old and has been stored in a cardboard box. The white fabric has become yellowed. I have now finished the hand quilting and ready to "hopefully" get the yellow out. I need suggestions, please.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:41 PM

well there is one product called Restore for fabrics that is supposed to work well.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:03 PM

Take care when washing. Old embroidery floss colors can bleed and ruin your beautiful work. I would suggest testing a small place on the quilt before attempting to wash the quilt. Then wait for more suggestions here from other board members with their suggestions about how to brighten the white of the quilt. Hope you show us your end product. Love to see old quilts and particularly those who have been lovingly been completed or restored.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Retro Clean is highly recommended just for that purpose.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:16 AM

I used to use "all-fabric bleach" - not a chlorine bleach, I think it was sodium perborate. Hard to find in the stores now, it was a powder. If all else fails, you might consider tea-dying it.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:05 AM

I already have Biz and OxyClean on hand. Are these appropriate for using on this?
Old 03-07-2024, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

RetroClean is a wonderful product. I've used it for years on vintage quilts and other dingy things. Good stuff!
When I use it I let the item soak for several days, swishing it around occasionally. It really works and doesn't damage the fabric.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I already have Biz and OxyClean on hand. Are these appropriate for using on this?
I had much better success with RetroClean.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:16 PM

Sun bleach maybe?
Old 03-09-2024, 05:57 PM

I have a white quilt!
I want to share with you what I did. I did look online for RetroClean that several of you recommended. It is available at WalMart but I didn't find it on the shelf at my local store. I resorted to what I had on hand. Therefore--Dawn to the rescue!
I used hot water in my washer and a generous 1/2 c of Dawn. Sloshed it around pretty well with intent to let it soak "indefinitely" but the manufacturer of my machine thinks they know more than I do about operating the thing so it wasn't long that I found it drained! So I filled it up again and put Biz in this time. This application went through a usual cycle on delicate and then I washed it with my usual detergent and it came out like it had never been so ugly.
I am thrilled! I hope the woman who did all of the cross-stitching is looking down on it and is as pleased as I am. It is beautiful. Unfortunately I have never posted pictures here and don't know how. Just trust me, this worked!