Fabric Moratorium 2024

Old 03-07-2024, 03:49 PM

well, stalled out on stitching for now. But on a bright note...no new fabric so far this year!
Old 03-09-2024, 01:22 AM

My problem is that I buy new fabric for a new quilt idea then experienced quilting friends talk me out of doing the quilt OR I decide the quilt is not what I want to make. So now I have a heap of new 2024 unusable fabric.

So very annoying.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:15 AM

Paddington, fabric is never unusable. It only changes purpose. I know I have posted this comment before, but here I go again. If you want to get rid of your fabric make something out of it! Go for the simple remembering that simple to one quilter is not the same for everyone.

You mentioned friends who are changing your mind. If they think your idea to use the fabric is not the best choice, ask them for what would be better, take one idea and run with it. I hope to see you showing off a beautiful quilt "all from stash" soon.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:21 AM

Bear I have bought fab in the past and then forgot which pattern I wanted to make! So the fab ages until a new idea pops into my head.

Confession time . I dropped off finished quilts to Project Linus day before the meeting. I knew no one would be there.I need more neutrals for backgrounds. Went to the storage closet and LOW AND BEHOLD WHAT DID I SEE BUT WHITE AND BIGHE FAB LOOKING BACK AT ME!!!There were 4 large garbage bags filled with folded fab.Fab is quilt shop quality and it looks like she bought full bolts! I now have miles of fab. It's a huge donation that must have come in after the last meeting. Most of the fab was civil war colors. Not my style so left it. Do I feel guilty about bring it home? No! I average 4-5 quilts per month and If our cordinator had been there I know she would have given it to me. Last month turned in 8. Only 2 were on the small size. I normally make at least 42*54" quilts to fit a teen's body in the hospital bed.( Read my signature quote...lol.) Bye for now.Have to start cutting for next project.

Last edited by Julienm1; 03-09-2024 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:32 PM

@WMUTeach Thank you for your encouragement. I had the idea of a fade in fade out quilt. I got all the fabric and (foolishly) cut it into 2 inch squares. My fabric isn't the same as the quilt I was looking at making and I find it really difficult to make my fabric fit the fade in fade out. I'm so frustrated with it that I've given up. I think I can use a fair bit of the fabric in a "tiny tiles" quilt for my DIL instead. But I need to discuss the qhite fabrics to go with it with DH before I can start that project.

I bought some lovely new linen fabric in various colours (thankfully on 50% sale) for a table runner and placemats that I liked but my friends say it is too busy for my house. So I've abandoned that.

I am now looking at doing a very small wall hanging with bright colours - only 2 of which are in my stash so I'm off to the shop again! Luckily we have a good fabric shop I can buy 4 inch strip of fabric.

I think it is my procrastination and indecision that is the problem. Oh and - there's another bright shiny thing!

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Paddington, fabric is never unusable. It only changes purpose. I know I have posted this comment before, but here I go again. If you want to get rid of your fabric make something out of it! Go for the simple remembering that simple to one quilter is not the same for everyone.

You mentioned friends who are changing your mind. If they think your idea to use the fabric is not the best choice, ask them for what would be better, take one idea and run with it. I hope to see you showing off a beautiful quilt "all from stash" soon.

Last edited by paddingtonbear; 03-10-2024 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:22 PM

Oh, Paddington you make me giggle, "there's another bright shiny thing".. Have fun with your little 2 inch squares and show us your clever repurposing of your squares.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:28 PM

I am sorry, but I'd never let my friends, no matter how good, tell me what I can and cannot make for my home! If I like it, that is all that matters, since I have to live with it. If you specifically asked for their input, that might be different, but we are all free to make what we like and what suits our tastes. Did your friends offer to pay for the supplies or make the runner and mats? If not, then they have no say in the matter. If your hubby doesn't like it, that might cause you to change a project.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:20 AM

Stayed strong on not buying fabric last week. Instead i bought several patterns with stash fabric in mind. The fabric I pulled from stash last week will be for a cathedral windows quilt. I made two last year using Missouri Star tutorial. I found another method I want to try.
Sure hope the business of life slows down so I can do some sewing. I find I get cranky if too much time goes by without some serious time sewing. My quilt room also needs some cleaning but at this rate who knows when that will be.
While I got through last week's temptation, I have to pick up a machine from repairs and have to walk through rows and rows of lovely fabric to do it!
Old 03-11-2024, 05:46 PM

I went on a Shop Hop with a quilting friend today and Yes, I purchased fabric. One piece for a backing of a finished quilt that has been lurking in my sewing room since January. The second piece was a creamy neutral to replace all that I have used from my stash. I am nearly out of TOT whiles and creams. There does come a time when one needs to purchase was is needed so quilts and be made or finished. That is what I did! I ignored all of the other beauties that tried to jump into my bag. Another 10 or 15 scrap quilts from stash and I should be ready to shop again, just a little. Tee-Hee-Hee.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:24 AM

WMUTeach -- I was also just about out of the ToTs,(especially white on white) and white neutrals for the recent Bonnie Hunter project. Next year I am planing on using cream-tan as my neutrals even if I have to change her colors.

With my time off sewing, moving and lately machine problems, I'm finding it hard to get back to daily sewing. I did get a shelving unit so I can put the fabric in the closet and hope that motivates me -- or at least be able to find the totes I want to use. I still have the borders to put on both the Christmas String and Bonnie Hunter projects. I'm hoping to do the string project today at sewing group but I got about zero sleep last night and not sure if I'll go.