2024 Eclispe

Old 03-12-2024, 04:09 AM

Default 2024 Eclispe

Are there any eclispe watchers? We are hoping to get over towards Erie to watch. The last eclispe was easy, it went directly over my son's home in South Carolina.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:52 AM

The last total was amazing! We were in the path and it was something else! Had all the family up and made an awesome weekend of it! Slight one here last fall. Would love to be in PA when it happens!!!
Old 03-12-2024, 08:10 AM

we have been mapping out 2 months vacation and the rvparks are slammed, doubling the fees, and zero refunds.
We are leaving until that day, it will probably just get dusky here.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:23 AM

We will see 99.8% of the eclipse, so we’ll be watching from our backyard!
Old 03-13-2024, 04:17 AM

We are planning an eclipse watching party in our neighborhood here in northern Vermont. I am planning round foods - moon pies and other treats. I have a bunch of glasses for people to wear, and we will set up lawn chairs. Hoping for no clouds and warmer temperatures over the snow we sometimes get in April. It should be fun, regardless of weather.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I'm in the path way and local news said to expect 1.5 million people to be in our area for the eclipse. Have groceries and gas bought for a week at least. All hotels and every rental place available are booked. Farmers are renting out their empty fields. I know my grands are learning more about astronomy and are excited.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:47 AM

I'm almost dreading it. The crowds they are expecting in the Finger Lakes are predicted to be enormous. Hotels, even though rates are double normal rates, have been booked for ages.

The upside, for me, is that our younger daughter and her twin 3-year olds will be coming up from southeastern PA to visit for the first half of the week. That means I'm going home from FL earlier than planned, but I'll do most anything to see family, lol.

I vaguely remember one when I was in grade school. We had to make a viewing box with a shoebox and foil. Now, the local chamber of commerce and libraries are giving out the specially rated glasses. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:10 AM

My daughter was preschool age in 2017 and we were able to go to the other side of our county and view totality from a community park. It was fun but she hardly remembers it. Now she is 11 one of my wife’s dear friends is the path of totality about 5 hours drive from us, so a good excuse for a visit and for our daughters (13 months apart) to get reacquainted. Hotels have limited availability at $1,000 per night so we are staying with the friends. We are looking forward to a nice visit and hoping for cooperative weather. In 2017 we had perfect cloudless day.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM

We live in the direct path of the blackout zone. We have our glasses and will be in our yard ready!
Old 03-15-2024, 02:59 AM

If you do travel for the eclipse, be prepared for the traffic. We went to Nashville for the last one. Our 4 hour drive home took 10 hours! When my husband went to work the next morning, the traffic on I-75 was still bumper to bumper. But the party and the eclipse were spectacular. Besides the viewing glasses, we got a couple pairs of special eclipse binoculars. Have dug them out so we're ready for this one.