Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Another  New Hampshire LQS Closing >

Another New Hampshire LQS Closing

Another New Hampshire LQS Closing

Old 03-07-2024, 09:55 AM

Default Another New Hampshire LQS Closing

QUILTED THREADS in Henniker, NH is closing in June 2024. Owners are retiring. Along with gorgeous fabric and great patterns and notions, they are Bernina dealers/repair. They will be missed!
Old 03-07-2024, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

So sorry to hear that. We have lost two in our area and are down to only one store. Now I read that some of the JoAnn's will be closing. Thankfully, not all.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:52 PM

We have lost three in this area. One to retirement, one lost their lease and one to lack of sales.

Watson
Old 03-08-2024, 04:05 AM

I am heart broken that she is closing but am not surprised. It was my go to place for gorgeous fabric of all types. The building is spectacular as well. The store will be greatly missed.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:16 AM

Sorry to hear you're losing another fabric store. When I first moved to Carroll, IA, we had 2 fabric stores in town. Shortly afterwards one moved to a little town called Glidden just 7 miles away. I continued to buy fabric from them from time to time but now it's totally closed down. We just lost another one in the other direction just 9 miles away but I don't know if someone else bought it or its just closed down completely.

Then about 6-7 years ago we lost the other fabric store in town. I made a killing every week as they raised the discount for the remaining fabric. Picked up some of their empty bolt cardboards also in case I needed them.

Now we just have a new fabric store that opened up just this past Thursday but I haven't checked it out as yet. It's not like I need fabric but just want to see what they'll be carrying in case there is something like thread, scissors, blades, etc. Our Walmart is getting a remodeling job done right now and it looks like their fabric dept is smaller than it was before. I rarely ever buy Walmart fabric but I did and still do occasionally buy some of their stabilizers. PIcked up a bunch of carded buttons in their clearance rack a couple weeks ago as I'm into making clothes again and didn't have what I needed in my stash of buttons.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

One quilt shop and dealer here has put up a sign that says no returns on any purchase. That will keep customers away. I don't understand the reasoning for that. No product is guaranteed not to have a flaw sometimes.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:18 AM

I've been really fortunate. While I've lost one quilt store that was close to my house, another has opened in the last couple years and seems to be going well. We've also had the son of a sewing machine store owner who sold her store open a repair shop. Since I lost my OSMG a year or so ago, I have a place to get my vintage machines repaired. I try to buy from the local stores to help keep them open!
Old 03-10-2024, 03:10 AM

Default So sad!

This makes me so sad! I love that store. Shame on me for not driving up there more often. I will miss my visits there.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:03 AM

marybs - she is still open at the moment- Still time to go and spend money!!
Old 03-13-2024, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

One quilt shop and dealer here has put up a sign that says no returns on any purchase.

I went to this store this morning. The sign is not there anymore. I asked the lady cutting fabric if if was still a store policy and she said only on sewing machines. I asked what about if the machine does have a factory fault and she said it will be repaired not exchanged.Who wants to buy a brand new machine that has to have a repair right out of the box ? It will then be a used machine at new machine price. No thanks. I would want an exchange for a new one that doesn't need a repair. Now even car dealers have a return policy. Things are made cheaply as possible now so it's not uncommon to get more defaults in anything newly made.