Fabric Moratorium 2024

Old 03-12-2024, 07:16 AM

Oh, Julienm1 and WMU - your comments really resonated with me! I have been quite vocal about wanting to use only stash and really restrict my purchases to what is absolutely necessary, and I have also been heard! A local fabric chain store is closing one of their locations and have had a 70% off sale for the last few weeks. My quilty neighbour nicely told me the other day that she went and had a big shopping spree there and "was going" to invite me but she knew I was trying not to add to my stash so she didn't. I have also mentioned in her (and others') hearing that neutrals are on my "allowed" list, so I'm still not sure if she was kind or cruel (although I do appreciate her support)!

And Paddingtonbear, I'm sorry - while I'm sure they mean well, it sounds like your friends aren't really being helpful to your quilting journey. I have had similar experiences where people have shared their opinions and it has changed my feelings about a particular project. I'm glad you can find joy in shopping for a new project (if it breaks a negative emotional cycle I'd call it a necessary purchase) and I agree with what some others have said here - do what YOU love/enjoy, let things go (temporarily or permanently) if they aren't working for you and keep thinking creatively. I'm sure the right project will come up for your little squares, even if it takes a while. :-)

Old 03-13-2024, 03:02 PM

@Gemm;864 and @SueZQ from MN
No, I didn't mean to sound unappreciative. My friends were being kind and helpful and they were right! I need interior decorating advice. And colour advice. My diningroom/living room is too busy as it is and a busy table runner and placemats would have added to the confusion. Plain white (which I have already) works well.

I will definitely use the linen fabric for something else as I love the colours but just not for a table runner.

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
And Paddingtonbear, I'm sorry - while I'm sure they mean well, it sounds like your friends aren't really being helpful to your quilting journey. I have had similar experiences where people have shared their opinions and it has changed my feelings about a particular project. I'm glad you can find joy in shopping for a new project (if it breaks a negative emotional cycle I'd call it a necessary purchase) and I agree with what some others have said here - do what YOU love/enjoy, let things go (temporarily or permanently) if they aren't working for you and keep thinking creatively. I'm sure the right project will come up for your little squares, even if it takes a while. :-)
Old 03-20-2024, 10:29 AM

Got the borders on my Christmas String quilt. This was an all stash except for a planned buy on the white-on-white Holly print.

Now I need to decide my next project... I have a few things kitted up (if I can find them) or maybe inspiration will strike. Before I left the Seattle area, I asked my quilt group to make house blocks for me, I also have a set from closer to Y2K and an internet group I was in -- I think about (12) 12" blocks. Most of the blocks are embellished and they will need some trimming/borders put on to make them correct to size. I'm thinking of sashing them with bars of colors from dark underground to dirt brown, to green with florals and animals, to blue sky and birds. Still have a lot of light blues out from the Bonnie Hunter project.

I also have a bunch of slippery mostly poly hawaiian blends, some with textures that aren't as heavy as bark cloth. Was thinking of making large L shapes of (3) 2" wide logs for a wild and mod couch quilt. It is hard to deal with the slippery polys after so many years of cotton but it should be fun, fast and easy.

And then who knows what might inspire me as I poke around and if I do find my kits.

PS: boo to people who with stray comments harsh our enjoyment for whatever the hobby or reason...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas String.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	648077  
Old 03-20-2024, 04:32 PM

Congrats, Ice. Lovely finish and it will be quilted for Christmas 2024, right! Much holiday snuggling shall be had at your home this year, I am sure.

Old 03-21-2024, 04:26 AM

Well I'm hoping to have it done this year. I'm having machine issues that means probably not going to happen. I do still have my vintage machine and the light weight machine I bought for my traveling machine. My main machine, Cranky Bernie, died for the last time recently and I am in search of a new primary machine and a long arm. Spent some time yesterday looking at used long arms on line. It was part of the deal when we moved that I would have room and budget for a long arm, as always wish my budget was higher especially now that a primary machine needs to come out of it.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:15 AM

Well it looks like the next project decision has been made for me -- I found the fabrics and it turns out I already cut the strips and am ready to go (or will be once I figure out what I have). Will be a tropical "need sunglasses" many bright fabrics variation on this:
https://passwordquilt.wordpress.com/...bin-variation/

Still need to find the backing fabric to determine the overall size. I know I bought a monster sized piece -- like 8-9 yards? at an estate sale. It will be a much calmer blue/green.

I also found a package of for another Hawaiian themed trip around the world. Some of it were precut rayon squares, others I cut myself. Had forgotten about that project.

And I found one of the projects I'd been looking for! Some late 1970s cross-stitch blocks from the Goodwill. That I know I can do the quilting on my vintage machine. Have the plan, just need to do it Well, and probably I need to find a good back.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:10 PM

Love the Password block. I see that it was mentioned in the comments on the block site that a photo of a finished quilt would be nice. I also would like to see a finished quilt, but none the less, I like the block. Bookmarked and thinking about a test block or two. Thanks for the rabbit trail to distract me from what I should be doing.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:58 PM

Success. Today, quilting group went on shopping trip. Bought planned purchase,ONLY. Took pair of pants that have been difficult to pair with shirt.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:45 AM

Good going, Petthefabric!

WMUTeach -- I've been looking for some pictures of the Password block finished quilts and so far haven't found any -- which really surprises me. I've looked under log cabin variations as well for other names. I probably planned this about 10 years ago? Maybe it was something to do with jellyrolls. When you do it in two distinctive colors (like black and white) it can give a very optical illusion sort of effect. When you do it in multiple colors, I think it still works best to use just two from each block, but you don't have to -- you can have two different sets in each block so long as you maintain the dark/light sort of scheme. If you turn the little squares to the outside edges, you get a more pronounced X shape...

I will take some process and playing around pictures as I go. It is my sort of pattern, "quick and easy and effective" suitable for different piles of scraps...
Old 03-22-2024, 05:59 AM

Have no other quilt projects but my goal this year is to put together lap size quilts or not quite that big and donate to Santa's Helpers. I add a stuffed animal and a book with it. Hopefully my piles will go down.