Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 15-17, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 15-17, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 15-17, 2024

Old 03-14-2024, 03:31 PM

Default Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 15-17, 2024

Good evening! I am on a quilt retreat that started at 9 am this morning so I began quilting early. I finished clues 4 and 5 from a local quilt shop's mystery quilt. Also appliqued around the shamrocks on a candle mat (Shabby Fabrics kit). I'm in my room relaxing now, getting ready to watch Young Sheldon and Ghosts. I brought some handwork to my room with me but I doubt much will get done tonight! Maybe in the morning if I get up too early.

So what are your plans for the weekend? I have an assortment of projects with me to choose from, we always bring way more than we could possibly do but then we have choices. For example--I brought two small paper piecing projects but forgot my add a quarter ruler and seam roller which makes my life easier.

Next VQW is April 19-21, 2024. Any questions, please ask!
Old 03-15-2024, 02:01 AM

Oh what fun you are having on your quilt retreat! I hope to experience going on a retreat one day. Sounds like a lot of fun.
I have my 2 grands this weekend and will have lots of adventures...such as dying Easter eggs. I may not be quilting this weekend, but I enjoy reading about everyones projects. Have fun!
Old 03-15-2024, 02:31 AM

I won't be quilting, but will hopefully get some sewing in. Making teddy bears for a cousin from a baby quilt our great grandmother made for her (I will post pics under general chit chat when complete). I also have a concert to practice for (I play cello in a community orchestra) and one of the pieces is very difficult to play.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:16 AM

I am off for a two day sew weekend at our local quilt shop to make QOV blocks. One of the last requests before she died was to hold a QOV sew day in her honor at the quilt shop where we worked. So I will be sewing my heart out while thinking of her sweet soul and the military recipient that will be awarded.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:17 AM

I finished the nautilus pixel top, but don't have a suitable backing. I like 108" wide fabric for the backing.
I actually organized the fabrics for my next pixel quilt. OK, I cut enough squares to make a block. I'm calling it "The Pink Shell". I ordered all the fabrics in the Michael Miller Fairy Frost collection. Hundreds of color choices.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:41 AM

I am in too. I have too many projects under way and I need to get some of them out of the way.

1. Make blocks for a quilt that I have been procrastinating about finishing.
2. Label on a quilt.
3. Finish some Boom Blocks.
4. Sandwich a finished top
I could go on but.... completing more this weekend would be a fantasy.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:23 AM

I need to get the binding on this Escher quilt I finished last month. Then finish a kitty quilt, currently on the long arm, for our Grand daughter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0403.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	647956  
Old 03-15-2024, 05:04 AM

I'm in, I am working on clearing out some of my scraps. The table topper from the last VQW got delayed, just didn't like the next border so that is still on the wall. May do some more work on that. I have been making 6 1/2 inch string/crumb blocks and I think I will alternate them with four patches or just whole blocks. I made 5 yesterday and will make some more today before I take mom to her pacemaker check. I am still doing the hand quilting on the table topper from last year. Plus some cleaning in the sewing room and the rest of the house. I decided to just do what feels fun and go with the flow.

Only thing on the calendar this weekend is the corned beef on Sunday!!
Old 03-15-2024, 07:25 AM

Hey all -- thanks Heather for hosting. It's good for me to have a little motivation via the VQWs. Before my move and packing/unpacking I used to sew basically every day. LOL, that's not what is happening now. My lack of motivation and laissez faire attitude have been compounded by machine issues. But today is a new day and a new VQW and I seem to be motivated enough for some sewing!

I am finally putting on the borders to my Bonnie Hunter quilt, they have been done for at least a month now and just needed to be attached. Been working on putting the the two narrow inner borders today. I wanted to put on all three borders at once using miters in the corners but was hesitating so will just do the two inner borders in one round first and then the outer border as another, square butted because of the way it was pieced. So far I have two sides on and have pinned the third but wanted a coffee break so came here.

After that I have my Christmas String quilt borders to put on. The inner border is cut to size and most of string pieced borders are done, I will have to put on a couple more pieces on each side to make them miter correctly.

If I can keep my motivation going through the weekend, I bought a shelving unit to put in the closets I had built for my totes of fabric. That needs to be assembled and then I can put the fabric away while doing some organization and looking for the next project... haven't decided... one of the ladies in my sewing group is looking for an easy baby quilt for a friend's grandchild and I have what I think is a really good panel for that to also look for.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I'll be quilting some tops that need finishing, I hope. And I have many Boom blocks left to make. Plenty to do! Hope everyone posts pictures!

Cheesehead, LOVE your Escher quilt!