Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 03-06-2024, 05:34 PM

TG, I tried the bias hourglass and didn’t like it. One and done. Maybe if it was heavily starched I could work with it. To me, using my “old way” is easy.
Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Hourglass sounds interesting to add to something, but can’t imagine with the bias what mine would end up as.
I must say, though, I have used a great deal of my candies this winter. And I’m happy to make quilts from them, but they are so addictive and I love having quilts with almost no repeats
Old 03-07-2024, 04:46 PM

TG, Good for you! It is such fun to play with our birthday candy. Any photos we haven't seen yet? Send them our way so we can enjoy them too.

I just finished making the blocks for my March 2.5 quilt. It did not use as many 2.5's as I expected it would, but at this point, anything out the door is.... out the door. I have been working on my deadline projects and just needed to stretch my brain. My finish will likely a donation quilt. No photos until 2.5 day.

Here is what is left in my brown, yellow, orange AKA "Autumn" storage box. It was full, but I still have more than enough to make another quilt top. Those little darlings don't disappear as quickly as they multiply.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-03-07  Autumn 2.5 box.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	647788  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 03-07-2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:24 AM

Good morning! It's been quiet here for a week so I just wanted to check in to say hello..Hope you've all been having a good week. I've been busy on my Boom blocks and not much else but today is finish the taxes day. Not my favorite day of the year.

Have a lovely day.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

Good morning! Afternoon? I'm still here, waiting for the next birthday addresses. Like Janice,
I am working on Boom blocks... and trying to finish a scrappy strata top. I have fixed my latest candy square quilt (the one with blue, green and purple columns of candies if you may have seen it). I'll try to have that done to show on the 25th.

Happy Spring day, everyone!
Old 03-14-2024, 04:16 PM

Oh, so glad to have your posts, Boom Gals. I finished the binding on one of the baby quilts this afternoon and dipped into my own Boom blocks. I just had to start a 2.5 quilt last week to break up the slogging through the baby quilts. Some quilts just don't catch my passion and they make for a slow go. Blocks for the March 2.5 quilt are done and I have started sewing the rows together. Picture tomorrow.

I hope all is well with your swappers. I sure miss the chatter when we are all babbling and burbling about life in the sewing room and what ever is out the back door.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:54 PM

Happy Pi Day yesterday. Did any one make Pie? I thought about it because I always made apple pie for my son on Pi Day. But alas, I have no counters in my almost finished remodeled kitchen. Tough making pie crust without a counter top. Counter to be installed on Monday! Yeah (picture Kermit the Frog waving his hands here) Water in the kitchen and dishwasher to be all put in order on Tuesday. Another Yeah! Washing dishes in the bathroom sink is a bother. On the other hand, I am grateful that I have hot running water in the bathroom sink. Don't have to haul it in from the pump outback and heat it on the wood burning stove like grandma.

St. Patrick's day is coming soon, I should be making green sugar cookies for my boy, but once again. Counter tops. He has a summer birthday so I always sent shamrock cookies to school for his "in school birthday". He is a Patrick, so it fits. He had me baking cookies for him until well into his 30's. He would take them to work and share with his pals. Watch.... he'll show up on Sunday looking for cookies!

For now, it is time to connect more blocks for my March 2.5 quilt. I need a good audio book to listen to while stitching rows. Any suggestions?
Old 03-15-2024, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post

For now, it is time to connect more blocks for my March 2.5 quilt. I need a good audio book to listen to while stitching rows. Any suggestions?
Grandma Gatewood's Walk by Ben Montgomery was the book I chose for my bookclub last summer. Everyone loved it. You might find it on Libby or Hoopla through your library.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Hi swappers! In between boom blocks I'm working on that checkerboard chain with my candies. It's a fun project when you just want to sew and not think too much.
I told my husband out of all the blocks I received for my birthday I only had TWO of them in my stash!!!

My youngest son told me that between Dad's obsession with cooking and mine with quilting we could feed and warm every person is Ohio haha!!!!
Old 03-16-2024, 06:02 AM

SuzieQOH, you gave me a good giggle!

JENNR8R, I just added a hold for Grandma Gatewood's Walk. Looks interesting. Love Libby and use it often. Says a two week wait but I am first in line, so not expecting to wait that long. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now on to my stitching for the rest of the day until I prep to go to see Cinderella (Rogers and Hammerstein) this evening presented by our local home school students.

Old 03-16-2024, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Sue, your son is too funny! I wish my husband was cooking obsessed. It's always a struggle to stop my quilting in time to cook some dinner.

WMUT, Cinderella by the homeschoolers sounds like great fun! How was it?

What is Libby? Please explain...