Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 15-17, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 15-17, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--March 15-17, 2024

Old 03-16-2024, 04:19 AM

Had a nice and productive day yesterday. Got the borders for the Bonnie Hunter top on, I had been deciding which way to put the outer triangles and eventually went with Bonnie's design. So before I put on the outer border I had to stay stitch the outside edge of that. It all went quite smoothly.

Today I will be working on putting on the Christmas String borders. I will have to add a few pieces (already cut, some already in duos) for the mitered ends. When I was making this I cut a lot of pieces that were just a bit too small to go in the spider webs, so I decided to add them to the border. The skews and slants are deliberate, I considered straight piano keys but decided to go more stringy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas(1).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	647978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Done.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	647979  
Old 03-16-2024, 04:45 AM

I have one quilt at the long armer now and when I pick it up, I’ll be leaving another off. Then I’ll coast through Summer since I started a small perennial bed last Fall and I’ll need to get some more plants in there. Great grands are getting big enough for softball & soccer and we go to cheer them on so that takes time away from sewing but that’s ok. My sewing plans are to finish the 4 UFO’s and not start new projects. If you believe that I’ve got ocean front property in AZ for sale. (Smile)
Old 03-16-2024, 05:10 AM

Well, I hope I can post--the electricity is going in and out! Thunder and lightning, oh my. At least I already made coffee.
Yesterday, I found a wide back for the finished nautilus shell quilt, but it was only 66 inches! I'm sure I would have ordered at least 2 yards. Q finished at 72 by85 ish. Found another suitable piece and placed it in the dryer to smooth out creases before ironing it today.
The pics show the first block for the latest Pink Shell quilt. Gotta start somewhere! And I organized and labeled the fabrics in order to follow the cross stitch pattern.

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	946.5 KB
ID:	647980   Click image for larger version

Name:	fabs.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	647981  
Old 03-16-2024, 05:54 AM

Time to re-evaluate my list.

1. Make blocks for a quilt that I have been procrastinating about finishing. I have 68 blocks to make all curves and tried to cut ten blocks yesterday. Nope, to hard on my hands. Dropping down to cutting five and finish five.
2. Label on a quilt.
3. Finish some Boom Blocks. One more finished and 5 laid out to conqueror today! Off I go!
4. Sandwich a finished top - Not happening. The place where I go to layer my quilts told me yesterday that the spray bothered some of people in the quilting group with asthma and that I could not use spray baste. So sad. The site has moveable tables that make layering easy. Will have to investigate reserving a room for an hour now and again so I can use the facility but not harm others.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM

Finished quilting and trimming the kitty quilt, it now needs a binding and quilt label. So happy to have one of the projects off my list for this VQW. The blocks were made by everyone in the Boom 30 swap, they did a fabulous job making the blocks.

Name:	IMG_0467.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	647984  
Old 03-16-2024, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Aashley, pretty colors in your shell quilt. Would love to see that one when it's finished.

Cheesehead, your kitty Boom quilt looks amazing! I LOVE the setting you used! It makes it very unusual and stylish. I looked and looked but I can't remember which block I made. Great job on that!
Old 03-16-2024, 10:14 AM

SBG, top row second from right! It was one of my favorites, you used the angle play rulers to create that block.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
SBG, top row second from right! It was one of my favorites, you used the angle play rulers to create that block.
Thanks, now I remember! Did you use Angleplay rulers for your corner half-rectangles?
Old 03-16-2024, 04:48 PM

Sync--the Solare blocks are pretty!

Watson--

Wow--you've all been busy. So have I . I finished the second appliqued dragon block today. Big accomplishment this retreat has been finishing the Ohio State fabric Ohio Star quilt pattern top. Now it will hopefully get quilted in the next ten days and I can turn it in to church. Time to do a little sashiko before heading to bed. Will check back in after I get home tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:39 PM

No actual sewing for me today, but lots of pressing and sorting and tossing of fabric. I managed to clean out two small bins, and found some crumb blocks that were half started. So put those with the other crumb blocks, and I think I have a final pattern for the place mats using the blocks from yesterday. My day got interrupted with a quick run to pick up a bed frame DH found on Craig's list, then I needed to wash it down and found that one of the legs was missing the pins to hold the side rails. DH & I spent about an hour and did a repair so we just need to finish reassembling it tomorrow when everything is good and dried, But I have the house to myself all afternoon tomorrow!