Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 03-20-2024, 04:17 PM

I’m here! I’m here! lol. Just a quick check in. WMUTeach, I received the April birthday gals info. Thank you. I’d been under the weather for a couple of days but I’m back to normal tonight. I’ve been working on my boom blocks, and am nearing the finish line. Yours is actually up next! Unfortunately, still nothing new to show on the 25th but I’ll pop in to see what others post.

We had perfect weather today. Spring is springing in WNC!
Old 03-20-2024, 04:25 PM

Hi Everyone, I haven't left very many posts, but I have loved to read what everyone is doing. I am not one to typically air my troubles or laundry, as the saying goes, so I tend to just stay quiet. I am okay.....but just have been dealing with so much within my family and my college aged children. We have 4 children....... My oldest son got notified that he along with 2000 upperclassman will not have guaranteed on campus housing for his jr year (next year). He attends a college clear across the country from us. So we have been trying to figure out what to do, how much we can afford for off campus etc. A huge headache that should not be happening since it is due to the over enrollment of the college, which of course they are bragging about. My oldest daughter lives off campus due to personal and medical reasons, and she was looking for a 1 bedroom apt for her last semester which will be Fall 2024 (she is graduating a semester early). Well all was good until the rental agent/management demanded personal health information to complete the lease. When we refused to give out the information for privacy reasons, she was told that the apartment was no longer available to her. So that sent her into a frenzy. We think her current landlord has something that will work for her, despite it originally being a 2 bed. My husband had to get a new to him/us truck bc his truck of 16 years needed major mechanical fixing.......we do not like car shopping. And we are continuing to try different medications for one of our kitties that has significant health issues. Soooooooo, I haven't been able to do much sewing at all. I did use a scrappy top that I had made to clean up some of my scrap bucket. I took the top and sandwiched it with a Walmart cheap fleece blanket, thrift shop sheet, and created a back seat protector for his "new" truck. He loves looking in the mirror and seeing something that I made. I was lucky bc one of the seams lined up perfectly with the area for the seat belts, so I can always repair it, patch the back and its a regular large lap scrappy quilt if it isn't needed in the truck anymore. So that's been my very stressful month of things, plus my other 2 children's busy school life. Sorry so long.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:49 PM

Heather where are your children looking for accommodations? Perhaps we all could help?

I am working on boom blocks . Planning on moving to NH to sons place for Easter. Will have children and most of Grands together
Old 03-21-2024, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the heads up on our April birthday girls! I love April as it's the month my Mom was born.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:29 AM

Heathermom2opmc... what a busy and stressful month you have had! The truck scrap quilt made me smile though. I love having some quilts that I make where I can see them.

The April birthday greetings are in the mailbox as we speak. Happy early birthday Bonnie and Patti!
Old 03-21-2024, 08:33 AM

Going to get my April candies out. Hope everyone is well. Loving the spring weather. Just finishing up my BOOM blocks.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Heather, so sorry life's been complicated for you lately.

When my son was in college, he and three friends rented a house together. They put bunkbeds in two bedrooms and were very happy together. We are still in touch with all of them. I made each one a wedding quilt when they married.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:51 AM

Heather, it sure sounds like your life has gotten more complicated than normal. TravelingGramma is right, to tell you to reach out to us. What town are the kids looking for an apt? We may have connections to help them out. Another option, is a co-op for students that may be in town. For instance, Austin, TX was loaded with safe co-ops when I was a student there. Surely those may exist especially if the university is bragging about such high enrollments.

And at last! April bdays! I've been waiting too long! Woohoo!

Old 03-21-2024, 04:17 PM

Granddaughter approved the April bday letter and put stamps on envelopes. Will be at post office tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:29 AM

Thank you everyone.....April envelopes going out today ahead of the snow. My son is at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. He toured a place near campus Wednesday, and yes we are finding options for him to look at, but it is safety concerns that keep me up at night. One of his current roommates' father went down to GT, and took the guys on tours of a couple of places. It was great of him to do since we are 3 hours from the nearest airport or 18+ non-stop drive. My daughter, we think, might have a lead thanks to her current land lord. She is about 3 hours away from us in NY, so that is more manageable. Like many said, just added stress. Thank you for the kind words.