Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 03-24-2024, 05:04 AM

Default April Birthday Candies

My April Birthday Candies were mailed yesterday!

Old 03-24-2024, 05:17 AM

Wow a number of our group are in the time of life that brings on a renewal of "family stress". A new stage, a new time for our family, and new tasks and responsibilities that we lovingly and willingly take on. I recall vividly making the decision to move my father from his home to assisted living then up pops hospice. You are wise to begin the home cleaning and sorting now while you have the drive and focus. My brother and I did that and so we could be attentive and enjoy the final 18 months at out father's side.

Pamelor, I like your hexes. They are so neat and precise. I keep saying I should give them a try but, well then another quilt jumps under my needle and away I go. I have started doing some wool applique, but it has not stolen my heart like piecing quilts and donating them to Project Linus or others who need a warm hug.

Quossum, it sounds like even in the middle of you life business you are "on it" and will be ready for the rest of the swapping year. Take a breath now and again and enjoy the days you have at hand, while walking through your hecticness and stress.

So nice to catch up with everyone this month. Glad those packages are diving in to the mailboxes. Keep in mind that our first birthday swapper is out of town right now, so we will not likely get messages about packages received until she returns home from her visit with family. In other words, don't get anxious. I am sure she will be "on it" when she returns home.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:35 PM

Here is my March 2.5 effort. Top is finished but not quilted. I need to search for a backing. Hope to find something in stash but the larger cuts are diminishing. This quilt top finished at 58 X 66 and used 504 2.5" squares. Did not even make a dent in my fall stash/ 2.5's Tee-Hee-Hee! More to come later I am sure.

Looking forward to photos of your efforts too, finished or not.

PS. the name of the layout is Pot Pie. Found it online.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-03-25 finished top .jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	648158  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 03-25-2024 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:17 PM

I have not used one candy square all year, but I've been cutting up my leftovers into candy squares for next year.

My daughter-in-law's mother died on Christmas Day. She asked me to make her Dad a memorial quilt out of her clothes. It was hard to please her, but she ended up loving what I did.

The two pillows are pictures of her mother that I had printed at Spoonflower. She didn't want them included in the quilt because she didn't want her mother's face to be quilted. The pillows solved the problem.

Name:	Mother-in-Law.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	910.5 KB
ID:	648159   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIL Pillow 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	648160   Click image for larger version

Name:	MIL Pillow 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	648161  
Old 03-25-2024, 02:20 PM

Virginia decided to give a $200 tax rebate to everyone last year. I bought some Amanda Murphy rulers with the money and made this quilt with the Baptist Fan rulers. It was harder, and smaller, than I expected. I also used her 1/2 inch Line by Line ruler which was easier, and the easiest of all of the Ribbon Candy ruler. I'll be using that alot in the future.

Name:	Baptist Fan.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	648162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baptist Fan Baby Quilt.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1,017.8 KB
ID:	648163  
Old 03-25-2024, 02:22 PM

I made a cat quilt for a local cat rescue to raffle off. I'll donate it next month as a surprise to the president of the rescue.

Name:	Cat Quilt.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	648164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat Quilt Closeup.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	648165  
Old 03-25-2024, 02:26 PM

Recently a former principal at the firm I worked for called me up and begged me to recreate my Regatta quilt from two years ago as a surprise for his wife. I worked on it all day Saturday, but still no candy squares used.

Name:	Regatta.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	648166   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Regatta.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	798.6 KB
ID:	648167  
Old 03-25-2024, 05:19 PM

Got some candies in the mail today! Saving them for my birthday! Thank you!

1. TravelingGramma
2. WMUTech
3. Heathermom
4. ibex94

Old 03-25-2024, 05:45 PM

JENNR8R, I remember the Regatta quilt from when you showed it previously. the black and white checkerboard triangles were genius and are still so effective. And those kitties are Purrrrfect for the occasion. I have come pieces of the back and white border print in my stash. Mine has an occasional kitty with a black ZORRO mask. Fun and surprises folks when the take a closer look at the kitties to discover not a black cat but a white cat with a black mask. You have been busy!

Oh, terrific, LC. Glad that some of the birthday packages are arriving. You have a long wait, patience is a virtue they say. It is such fun to have a pile of surprises waiting for you on your birthday.

Thanks to all who have let us know your candies are "in the mail".
Old 03-26-2024, 09:29 AM

Beautiful quilts Jennr8r and WMUTeach!

And my package made it before April!!! Maybe the post office is finally getting back on track....

Sorry. No candies used but I am still accumulating ideas and cutting up as I find items to be cut. Baby quilts and Mad Adder round robin quilting as well as outrageous fabric purchasing has been going on. (I have fallen way, way off the Fabric Moratorium wagon. Until some of these baby quilts get mailed out, I fear I may never catch up.)