Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I out of it? >

Am I out of it?

Am I out of it?

Old 03-21-2024, 07:37 AM

New machines supposedly don't need oiling but since I keep my machines forever, I've found they do need a bit. I was having problems with my Artista 180 which supposedly I didn't have to oil (except for the bobbin area). I have had it serviced occasionally. It doesn't get used everyday like it used to so I don't take it in often. One day the needle wouldn't move all the down. It moved side to side but not up and down. I finally went ahead and opened the face and looked at it. I oiled the needle bar and each junction with other metal, turned the hand wheel a few times and left it. The next day it worked fine. I'm hesitant to do much to my Artistas but from now on I will do that. I put a drop of oil in the bobbin area every time I change the bobbin in all my machines. It seems to keep them running smooth and quiet.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:52 AM

I have heard recommendations that if you have any sewing machine in storage, you should take it out at least every six months and run it as it does help keep the insides from freezing up. I do the bobbin area on my Bernina's and do try and get them in for a shop service at least every two years although the recommendation is yearly. We used to have a Bernina dealer up here that included a free yearly cleaning and go over with any machine you purchased from her. I loved that service!
Old 03-24-2024, 07:11 AM

This is a bit thread-high-jacky, but one-by-one, what kind of oil do you use for your juki? I have the same machine and I bought it used. The oil I got with it is about to run out and there's no writing on the bottle.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:58 PM

Most sewing stores carry a generic version of "Lilly White" sewing machine oil. Singer sewing machine oil is pretty much the same thing. But, do not use 3-in-1 oil. It tends to turn black and sticky.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:06 PM

I use Bernina's oil or Zoom Spout sewing machine oil on all my machines. Seems to work well.

And thanks for this thread. It had reminded me that I haven't used my 503 for a while. About time to oil it up and get it going.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:10 AM

old timers say the same thing about tractors and cars. But it would be really nice to be able to quickly and easily take off the facings and brush out the insides.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:36 AM

I once had a really nice post-war Pfaff machine that I got rid of because it was so difficult to get at and clean the bobbin area (requiring a screwdriver).
Old 03-26-2024, 07:53 AM

I have had a Memory Craft Janome 6600 for 10 years. I have never had it in for service. I clean it myself by taking the bobbin case out and use a Q-tip and I also have a small tube on my vacuum that really pulls any lint out. Then I put a drop or two of oil in the space where the bobbin goes. Works like a charm when done. I have made about 15 quilts plus other quilted items on it, do my own FMQ so my Janome has a lot of miles. I think it will outlive me as I am not doing much quilting anymore. I am 79 and I am slowing down and have more quilts just waiting to be gifted. It's been a good run and best of luck in your search for a new machine! I also have a white featherweight that I use for going to retreats so my Janome gets a rest then.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:32 AM

My vikings say not to oil....but you do need to take them in periodically because the tech needs to oil them internally. Otherwise, the oils eventually get old and dry up and get stiff. Taking the case apart yourself on the computerized ones invalidates the warranty. I don't know if the Janome's are the same.