1923 Singer 99K

Old 04-01-2024, 12:34 PM

Default 1923 Singer 99K

Hi All, I just received Gertie today. She is a 1923 Singer Model 99K, basically Ernestine's little sister, though her serial number was allocated in Jan 1923 and Ernestine's in Nov. She came in a bentwood case and has the knee controller. My hubby and I had to do a little electrical clean up before plugging her in because she had some exposed wires . She also needed a good lint clean up and oiling. She is in decent shape for being 101 years old. I do have a tension issue that I need to figure out. I think the bobbin tension is too tight. I am getting looping on the bottom, but the stitches on top look great. Anyway, I've included some pictures.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gertie1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	648242   Click image for larger version

Name:	gertie2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	648243   Click image for larger version

Name:	gertie3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	597.7 KB
ID:	648244   Click image for larger version

Name:	gertie4.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	648245  
Old 04-01-2024, 07:12 PM

Generally, if the thread issue occurs on the bottom, the top tension needs adjusting (and viceversa.)

Start with the top tension, tighten by 1/8 to 1/4 turn, and test again.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:26 PM

Nice looking machine. I hope you get tensions straightened out. I have heard of people getting machines where the bobbin was tightened too much. In addition to WIChix's recommendation, I would make sure that the presser foot is raised before placing the thread through the tension discs. Then, according to one of the manuals I have, "The tension on the needle thread should only be regulated when the presser foot is down."

Do you have a manual for your machine? There are several free ones on the web.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:36 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions.

WIChix - I was playing with the top tension yesterday. It didn't matter whether it was too tight or too loose, the bobbin thread was just lying on the bottom of the material.

Janey - Yes, I did download a manual for that machine, and double checked to make sure I was threading the needle and bobbin correctly.

While I was cleaning and oiling, I noticed some build up of something in the bobbin race where the bobbin sits. I haven't had the chance to try to remove it yet. I was going to remove the bobbin case this afternoon and try to get the build up out. I think the bobbin can't move freely and that this may be the cause. This is what I am hoping anyway.

Shari
Old 04-02-2024, 11:18 AM

I figured out the tension issue. It was the bobbin itself, not the crude in the race. I just used a bobbin that came with the machine that has some thread on it. I did rethread the machine, replaced the bobbin with a different one and reset the needle. After all that, I was able to get the tension correct. Now I just need a slide plate and new belt for the motor and Gertie will be good to go.

Shari
Old 04-03-2024, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by sschick View Post
I figured out the tension issue. It was the bobbin itself, not the crude in the race. I just used a bobbin that came with the machine that has some thread on it. I did rethread the machine, replaced the bobbin with a different one and reset the needle. After all that, I was able to get the tension correct. Now I just need a slide plate and new belt for the motor and Gertie will be good to go.

Shari
I saw the title and immediately said "self, you just gave same machine away". But looked at pix and grabbed my research notes..oh no...mine was model 101, G series, made 1/9/23, had the knee control...but the motor was enclosed in a lge hump on the back, with wiring coming from underneath the machine. The info I gleaned was that it was one of 3500 made which included the same machine made of aluminum so it would be lighter weight. So interesting what you learn when you research!

Last edited by mermaid; 04-03-2024 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
I saw the title and immediately said "self, you just gave same machine away". But looked at pix and grabbed my research notes..oh no...mine was model 101, G series, made 1/9/23, had the knee control...but the motor was enclosed in a lge hump on the back, with wiring coming from underneath the machine. The info I gleaned was that it was one of 3500 made which included the same machine made of aluminum so it would be lighter weight. So interesting what you learn when you research!
It is not a light machine at all. Probably about the same weight as my 201 with the table . It sews like a dream after getting the tension issue fixed and the stitch length were I want it. IMO, these vintage/antique machines are the best. I like them so much better than the modern Brother I had prior to getting the 201 which was the first vintage machine I acquired. I think I need a Featherweight to complete the collection.

Shari