Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking foot needed? >

Walking foot needed?

Walking foot needed?

Old 04-03-2024, 07:06 AM

Default Walking foot needed?

Hi! I have the Opal 690q was wondering if I needed to buy the walking foot to be able to do quilts or can I do without it? A walking foot is almost $200 and I am a bit tight on cash. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2024, 07:08 AM

I use a generic walking foot on my Janome....cost less than $20. Have you "googled" it?
Old 04-03-2024, 07:19 AM

I agree with Linda. Do some research. There are often generic feet or feet from other brands that work well on your machine. I wasn't a fan of the Juki walking foot that came with my 2200 QVP Mini. I discovered that Janome foot worked on my Juki and was much better than the one that came with the machine.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:44 AM

I have and have used the Viking walking foot. And I am so glad I have it. My oldest one has lasted about 40 years. I also bought another one for my newer machine. I also have two Walking feet for my Bernina's. Again, no problems with them and they are essential in my opinion. They work well for feeding fabric evenly I use mine for applying binding to a quilt and also even for stitching long seams. If you can, I would recommend getting the viking one. Just make sure you get the right one.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:49 AM

doesn't your Viking have an even feed foot already? That drops down and hooks behind whatever foot you are using?
Mine does and it is more than sufficient for even feeding the quilts I've quilted.
Make yourself and little 20X20 practice sample with the type of patchwork/batting/backing you intend to use and work with that.

I'm not a big fan of generic feet, or spending money unnecessarily. Welcome to the board, come back often.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:55 AM

Not all vikings have a drop down foot. The only Bernina that I have that has one is the 590. I agree with the recommendation to get the Viking one. I really haven't ever been satisfied with the generic feet and attachments I have purchased. The walking foot is in my opinion an essential add on to get and it has enough uses that you are most likely to use it often. My Viking Walking feet have also been able to be used on other Vikings. I have owned 5 Vikings in the past 40 years, each of which I bought new and used until I outgrew it.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:45 AM

I got my Viking walking foot on Ebay at a very reasonable price. There are certain things where a walking foot is very helpful. One of them is attaching binding.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:41 PM

I avoid walking foot, if possible. If the machine isn’t feeding fabric evenly try loosening pressure foot.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

I use my walking foot for sewing binding to the front of the quilt, and often for long strips. I would hate to be without it. But if the price for the Viking foot is more than you're able or willing to pay right now, why not try one of the off-brand walking feet that are supposed to work with your machine. Be sure to buy from a reputable source, where you can return the foot if it doesn't work right. But if you're not having any problems so far without a walking foot, you could delay buying one until you feel like you actually need it.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:16 PM

I don’t know where you are located that they are quite that high in price, however I have one for my older Lily 540 and the wider one for my Sapphire, I had a quick look at your machine but didn’t see the mm for the feed dogs? Of my 3 Husqvarnas, none of them ever had the even feed option.