Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Farmers Wife 1930 blocks.... >

Farmers Wife 1930 blocks....

Farmers Wife 1930 blocks....

Old 04-04-2024, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
I have the Farmer's Wife books also, but none of the Dear Jane ones.
This is a website I have bookmarked with all the Dear Jane patterns available (downloadable) for free:
https://www.hobbystash.com/dear-jane...stickle-quilt/
no need to buy a book....

I'm very sorry for your loss

just watching someone else quilt helped me get my quilting mojo back
The Last Homely House on YouTube is good for that
I went to her first video made 5 years ago now, started watching and got hooked. Several others here like her as well:
https://www.youtube.com/@thelasthomelyhouse
I just looked at the link and it's for Dear Jane. I was trying to get the Farmer's Wife 1920 blocks.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:42 AM

retired, this link has all the patterns for FW just click on the tab at the top "My FW Patterns"
http://www.susangatewood.net/TheFarmersWife.html
Old 04-05-2024, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
retired, this link has all the patterns for FW just click on the tab at the top "My FW Patterns"
http://www.susangatewood.net/TheFarmersWife.html
Guessing copyrights don't matter.

charlotte
Old 04-05-2024, 10:44 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's that time of life for many of us.
I made the dear jane in the late 90's and gifted my book and templates on to someone here on the board.
But it is in the DJ EQ as Two Sides Of Jane, and I loved making it, certainly made a better piecer out of me.

I had the other book with the CD but was dissatisified with it and gifted it on.

Sometimes we just need to refill the well, I've found when I was in a stagnet puddle to give myself some compassion.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:29 PM

My quilting group did the FW as a year long project. Well, 4 years later I have about 85 blocks done and the project is aging like fine wine. On my "To Do" list,... again. I keep getting requests for a quilt, a new baby arrives or I just want a quick quilt for donation and these all become distractions from finishing FW.. I keep all my scraps and color choices all in one bin and just pick and choose from that bin depending on the block I am doing. It makes much less mess and there is less decision making. Have fun, Retired2pa.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Guessing copyrights don't matter.

charlotte
Jane Stickles made her quilt during the civil war. Even if there had been a copyright it would have expired long ago.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Jane Stickles made her quilt during the civil war. Even if there had been a copyright it would have expired long ago.
I'm sorry. That was very vague. I thought the link was for The Farmer's Wife, which is still being exploited by others online.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 04-06-2024, 08:45 AM

1 Charm Short, if you go back to the website for the DJ patterns and click DEAR JANE you will see the border patterns. I haven't made a DJ or FW, yet a spark has been lit. Thanks for posting this "retired2pa"!
Old 04-06-2024, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I made the 1930's Farmer's Wife quilt with a sew along group here on the board. If you search for it, I'm sure you will find the posts. There was a new thread posted every week with two of the blocks. We made 2 per week and showed them in the threads.
The patterns are all on a CD that comes with the book. If your book doesn't have the CD, you would need to find another one that does. All are 6" PP patterns. I got good at paper piecing from making these blocks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	648269  
Old 04-06-2024, 11:53 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss. My husband passed recently too, and I've had a hard time getting back to quilting as well but I haven't. For me, I found that going though my bookcase with a ton of quilting books has helped. I get inspired looking at all the wonderful quilts people have made. I decided I wanted to make a quilt.. My friend went with me to a quilt store that had every fabric on Earth I think. Just being around fabric cheered me up. I bought enough fabric that I loved even though I hadn't decided on a pattern ...and there it sits in my sewing room. Every time I think I'm going to start, I start thinking about my husband and all the quilts I made for him. I guess it was one step forward and one step back. There are a couple of quilting groups that I think would help me get started. It just takes a lot of time to recover from such a great loss in your life.