Boom 31 Spring

Old 04-07-2024, 01:55 PM

Another pretty green block for me! Thank you, LogCabin. I love it.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Yay, another pretty block from LC!

Sock knitting sometimes takes me 30 hours to make a pair. But it isn't about the time, it's the mindless pleasure of having something nice to work on that is portable and can easily be picked up and put down. Well, maybe not the heel, which takes a little more attention, but the rest of it is basically a straight tube. I might work on the same pair for a year! If I knit every night watching TV, it goes much faster. I use tiny sock yarn and size 0 or 1 needles to make a nice dense fabric that won't wear out for a long time. When I get a rhythm going, I knit about an inch an hour. I have made so many pairs!

Of course you can knit bigger gauge socks with DK or sport weight yarn and size 2 needles. Those go much faster, and make nice thicker socks.

Janice, if you want to learn, there are tons of teaching videos online. Lots of people are learning sock knitting online nowadays. I have a pattern at Etsy that teaches you a special heel technique that makes the entire heel of the sock (not just the back) double thick. I hate it when handmade sock heels wear out.

So... fun! Several of us have this in common, yay!
Old 04-07-2024, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

I just noticed I both started and finished my last post with "yay". Quite the cheerleader, aren't I?

Back to cutting my shirt fabric.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Hi Boomers, Janice- I sent my package out this morning and even remembered the return label. WOW

Hubby is home and recovering. He had not one but 2 different infections.UGH
Old 04-08-2024, 06:06 AM

SusieQ, happy to hear hubby is home. I’ll be on the lookout for the package.
Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Hi Boomers, Janice- I sent my package out this morning and even remembered the return label. WOW

Hubby is home and recovering. He had not one but 2 different infections.UGH
Old 04-08-2024, 07:45 AM

Anyone going to view the Solar Eclipse? I made eclipse boxes for me, mom and dad, because the Solar glasses are all sold out. I also read that some of the Solar glasses you have to watch out because they're not certified safe, and in 2017 Amazon got sued because of selling non-safe eclipse glasses, and then there were some that said they were made in America, but really they were made in China and not certified. But I've got old fashioned box viewing ready! Apparently in Michigan, peak time will be from 2-3:12.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Good to hear from you, SusieQ, and glad hubby is on the mend.

LC, what is an eclipse box? We are expecting rain today and for the next couple of days, so probably won't see anything but rain in the sky.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM

If you search on YouTube for Make a solar eclipse box there is instructions on how to make and use it for the eclipse!
Old 04-08-2024, 03:35 PM

The viewing boxes are really effective and very inexpensive to create. I know that around my corner of Michigan lots of teachers were making them with their classrooms in case the kiddos did not have the special glasses. In my area we had about 96% totality. Several of us mentioned how much cooler the air got without the sun. The atmosphere got really odd, murky and gloomy. Some of the outdoor lights did come on for a little while.

My daughter lives in Indianapolis and got some stunning photos were it was dark, really dark. She is a photographer by passion. If you ever have the opportunity to view a total eclipse, don't miss it. Worth the time and perhaps the bother to see a magnificent natural phenomenon.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:50 PM

How I wish I could have gone to Indiana to see it. I will have to add total eclipse to my bucket list. Lots of cloudiness in New Orleans instead of partial eclipse viewing. I am glad many got to see the show.