Boom 31 Spring

Old 04-08-2024, 07:44 PM

Here is a block for Traveling Gramma.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:21 PM
Power Poster

Fantastic block for TG! You captured her concept perfectly, Log!
Old 04-09-2024, 04:05 AM

Good morning. We have rain today and probably won’t see the sun for a few days. Yesterday made up for it. We had a nice view of the eclipse from here, despite the clouds that were predicted. We were somewhere around 85 percent totality. Sky darkened nicely and the quality of the light changed significantly. Quite something. My favorite part of the eclipse was looking at the shadows it cast through the shrubbery near my front door. Thousands of little eclipses on the sidewalk! It’s the same effect I saw in GA in 2017 so I knew to look for it.

Hope everyone has a pleasant week ahead. I have my routine dental check today and I expect all will be well. Then a stop at the LQS just to mingle amongst all the color and then the library to pick up a book. So, just a normal day. The pup still seems well.

Terrific block for Travelinggramma, LC!

Old 04-09-2024, 04:51 AM

I didn't know we could ship early, I tucked all mine into a tote and put it in a safe place so I could find it to get everything shipped when I get back to SD the end of April. Seems funny that I'll mail them from SD to NC, when I've been in GA for three weeks before that.

Had a crazy trip down here, with the two cats and 6 fish. 6 fish might not seem like much, but 3 of them are large koi that are about 15" long. We bought koi shipping bags and packed them with oxygen (DH has a tank with his welding stuff) and then repacked them in the middle of the trip. Got interesting looks working in the parking lot of a Love's while we did it. We put the bagged fish in large totes with frozen packs under towels. They are much less active and use less oxygen when cool. We didn't pack up the cats, but put the seat down and set up the litter box, food and water and their favorite quilt. They only cried for about an hour, and once the sun came up the settled down. We stopped and slept for a few hours at a rest stop, but pretty much drove straight through, We had our RAV4 and pulled a small enclosed trailer with, which included the cat stands and scratchers, and the stock tank that the fish will live in until the pond is done. DS had a partially constructed pong on his property, so I'm finishing it. The fish have lived in the tank as they can't stay outside for the winter in SD, so that is not a big deal.

So far the cats have not come downstairs (DS has two of his own), but I think they're getting brave and bored enough to expand there explorations soon. They seemed to settle in nicely, with having all their stuff brought with them. Have not sold teh SD place yet, but we are calling this home now, as "Home is where the cats are".
Old 04-09-2024, 05:06 AM

Log Cabin very nice block for TG

SusieQ so glad hubby is home and doing better

Macy glad you and the cats and fish made it safely to your new home

We went to an eclipse party but it was so cloudy we only saw the sun become a sliver and no real darkening. My dd lives by Dallas and was also attending an eclipse party but they had an awesome totality experience.

Starting to get really hot here, will enjoy lots of pool time these last few days. I am so glad we stayed a couple weeks longer than usual to see the cacti bloom and the magnolia trees. So beautiful
Old 04-09-2024, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Macy, got tired just reading about you packing! haha And yes- home is where the cats are!

Thanks, Terri, he's on the mend. I'm grateful.

The eclipse was awesome. We had perfect weather for it.

LC- what a great block!!
Old 04-09-2024, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Glad you all made the trip from SD safely, Macybaby. I'm sure you are relieved to have your animals there and ok.

Terri, enjoy you final days (for now) in Texas.

Our eclipse view was not total, but I still enjoyed watching the sun turn into a slivery moon shape. We had lots of cloud coverage, but still could see that bright shape shining through.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:49 PM

Lovely block for TG, Log cabin and I love the one you made me too, pretty blue! I was on the road yesterday to Hamilton Missouri for the Doan girls quilt retreat, following a bout of the flu or whatever tummy & migraine virus is going around for 4 days. Just starting to feel normal today. I started my day with finishing the machine applique for the Christmas star & holly block, tomorrow will be squaring up all the blocks and triple checking the dimensions, along with some paper removal for the paper pieced blocks. Hopefully they will be in the mail next week. It was so weird to see the sun dim while I was driving, there were warning signs for people not to pull over during the eclipse. I tried to get a photo but it really didn’t turn out. Cheers and hugs!
Old 04-10-2024, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

So what was the Doan Girls retreat like, Reba? I'd love to know what happened.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:10 AM

I’m still here in Hamilton, there are 100 ladies or so in the retreat center. Yesterday was a scavenger hunt to 18 downtown locations, with a little gift at each location. The Missouri star gifts were pretty generous with things like fabric, patterns, tools and templates. It was a lot of walking but really good to see the overwhelming amount of fabric, precuts, irons you name it. Most meals are provided, and there are projects for each of us to work on with for example 2 layer cakes, a pattern, and the Doan girls giving instructions. Attached are a few photos, the multicolored quilt was the morning project, the afternoon project is the floral rail fence pattern from one of the triple play YouTube videos. It’s a lot of fun so far :-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	648314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	648315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	157.0 KB