Boom 31 Spring

Old 04-11-2024, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Fun... kittens! Is this a feral cat?

I will have to check to see if the show is still on in Slidell. Thanks for the heads up.

And now to add to my serger, my Juki 2010Q is broken. Same problem I had before... when dropping the feed dogs, they don't come back up right and wont feed the fabric properly. So the Juki isn't sewing, currently. Gotta use my Singer 301 or my Bernina Record 830. The oldie machines are golden, but I love the Juki because it sews so fast.

I have to say this has been a terrible week, birthday or no. If the Slidell show is cancelled, that will just be the icing on my cake.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:45 PM

Well tonight is show and tell for the retreat. I’m ripping paper from the back of the paper-pieces blocks and re-ironing and measuring. I ended up taking 2 apart because they were a scant bit small. Hope everyone is ok, sorry to hear about the machines, Sewbiz, I’ll keep an eye out for a serger. At least the 301 is pretty fast. Hugs from afar.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, Reba... Have you ever tried PP without sewing through the paper? Once I learned it (from an online video) it's the only way I PP now. You fold the piece back along the sewing line and then sew just a hair to the side of it, not through it. Then you have no paper to peel and no distortion in your stitches from sewing through the paper and then tearing it out. You can use your pattern several times before it wears out, too. It's the only way to fly! (for me).

Ive been looking at Juki sergers online, and there's one that doesn't completely break the bank, that has "air assisted" threading. So cool! You just stick the thread ends into feeder holes, and then press the AIR button, and--whoosh!-- the machine threads the loopers with air. I hope to be able to see it in person at the quilt show tomorrow.

I've decided to take my Juki domestic in to the repairman one more time. Maybe I can get a few more years out of it before I have to replace it. It will be gone for a week, so in the mean time I'll continue quilting all my tops.

Speaking of which... Here is my finished bird quilt from Boom 30. It turned out so lovely (THANK YOU, all!) that I think I'm going to give it as a wedding present on 4/21. It's only a throw size, but it's still outstanding.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4299.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	648327  

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 04-11-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:17 PM

One of my quilting Zoom friends just demonstrated the process you shared, SBG. It was effective on her blocks but, sigh, I don't have the courage at this time to dive back into paper piecing. I did some about 10 years ago but just not entranced with it. Reba, give the no tear off the paper method. My friend used freezer paper and could reuse the paper a number of times.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:44 PM

SewBiz- your quilt came out beautifully. Anyone would love it.

i have been looking at using the freezer paper method for pp. maybe when I finish up the few blocks left I will play.
Got one block done today and another that measures 1/4” shy. Walked away. Tomorrow will rip and figure something out.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Thank you, TG. All my Boom Buds made gorgeous blocks.

Paper piecing is not my favorite thing, but sometimes it’s a necessary evil. I can do it if I have to. I can screw it up in a heartbeat too, LOL.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:11 AM

SBG your quilt is gorgeous and will make a wonderful wedding gift.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:34 AM

Sewbiz the bird quilt turned out beautifully.

Yes mama cat is feral, they have started a program here of catching the feral cats and neutering them. Hoping next winter when we come back there will be less in our area. We have a large window in our living room that goes down to about a foot from the ground. Sometimes when the cats are passing by they stop and stare at me and make quizzically expressions. It feels like I am the one in the zoo.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Thanks, Reba... Have you ever tried PP without sewing through the paper? Once I learned it (from an online video) it's the only way I PP now. You fold the piece back along the sewing line and then sew just a hair to the side of it, not through it. Then you have no paper to peel and no distortion in your stitches from sewing through the paper and then tearing it out. You can use your pattern several times before it wears out, too. It's the only way to fly! (for me).

Ive been looking at Juki sergers online, and there's one that doesn't completely break the bank, that has "air assisted" threading. So cool! You just stick the thread ends into feeder holes, and then press the AIR button, and--whoosh!-- the machine threads the loopers with air. I hope to be able to see it in person at the quilt show tomorrow.

I've decided to take my Juki domestic in to the repairman one more time. Maybe I can get a few more years out of it before I have to replace it. It will be gone for a week, so in the mean time I'll continue quilting all my tops.

Speaking of which... Here is my finished bird quilt from Boom 30. It turned out so lovely (THANK YOU, all!) that I think I'm going to give it as a wedding present on 4/21. It's only a throw size, but it's still outstanding.
Love your bird quilt! Really came together nicely!
Old 04-12-2024, 08:28 AM

Default Paper piecing

Sewbiz do you cut the freezer paper to put it through the printer for your template