Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody else give up on FMQ? >

Anybody else give up on FMQ?

Anybody else give up on FMQ?

Old 04-08-2024, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Oh no! It's wonderful and practice makes perfect. Or at least "charming".
I agree. I really enjoy FMQ. Mine is less than perfect but so are my quilts. lol

They look good and I can say I truly made the quilt myself and not just the top
Old 04-08-2024, 07:45 AM

well I have been practicing a bit and yesterday I finally did feel a bit more relaxed and when I look at what I did, it is not perfect but it doesn't look too bad. I am just practicing fills and making up the patterns as I go. I have some free motion books and will look at some of the samples and just do my thing. I don't try and be exact, just getting used to moving the fabric around by controlling the machine. In a bit, I am going to move on to the UFO quilt I have that needs fill patterns and I will be using a thinner thread that blends in and just work on making a textured fill.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
well I have been practicing a bit and yesterday I finally did feel a bit more relaxed and when I look at what I did, it is not perfect but it doesn't look too bad. I am just practicing fills and making up the patterns as I go. I have some free motion books and will look at some of the samples and just do my thing. I don't try and be exact, just getting used to moving the fabric around by controlling the machine. In a bit, I am going to move on to the UFO quilt I have that needs fill patterns and I will be using a thinner thread that blends in and just work on making a textured fill.
I found the biggest help to me was when I took RaNae Merrill's online class and she had us practice every day for a month. Just one 12" square but you had to do some every day. It really seemed to move my FMQ skills forward.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:47 AM

Thanks for all the help and advice. I just ordered a couple of books on walking foot quilting. Although I've watched some of Jacquie Gering's videos, I didn't really get the options of straight line quilting.

Great thread.

bkay.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:07 PM

I am actually reigniting my love for quilting by taking on the FMQ challenge. Now I have new goals to achieve! I watch a lot and read a lot of Angela Walter’s tutorials and it has definitely inspired me!
Old 04-11-2024, 05:06 AM

I started with a QAYG with Mandalas. Some gave me a "guide" in the design to follow. Others I used ideas from Walk. Each one was a different design.https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...o-t317433.html
I also have a folder on the computer labeled "FMQ" that I save pictures for inspiration. I like Lori Kennedy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dragonfly.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	648323  
Old 04-11-2024, 04:57 PM

My wresling the quilt is over. I bought a long arm and have never regretted it at all! Good luck on finding your way with the quilting of your quilts. Its a hobby we all enjoy most of the time. I hope you can do what is a good fit for you.