Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ironing board cover material >

ironing board cover material

ironing board cover material

Old 04-08-2024, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

What about using ironing board fabric sold by the yard?
Old 04-08-2024, 01:01 PM

My DH made a rectangular board to fit over my ironing board. I covered it with one layer of batting followed by aluminum foil and finally a heavy fabric - don't know the name but it's smooth and could be used to cover furniture. Probably cotton duck. I didn't want my ironing surface too soft and the aluminum foil reflects the heat onto the bottom side of whatever is being ironed. The fabric is stapled to the board and I haven't changed it. Maybe in another ten years.

The whole things is firm and taut. I know the foil works because I have to move my small pieces around as the board heats up when pressing a lot of seams open.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ElaineCovid View Post
My portable ironing surface has silver cloth over batting stapled to a piece of plywood and I've never regretted my choices....
I should have added that my silver cloth is like a pillow case and can be removed if needed for washing or to change the batting.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Thank you all for your comments. The Sharon Schamber video was especially helpful. I decided to use the cotton duck. I know that the silver cloth would be a good choice too, but I already had the duck and didn't want to buy new supplies. I finished making the pillowcase for the top today, and my daughter helped me pull it onto the board. I had intended to close the open end with Velcro, but I decided just to tuck it under instead, at least for now. The duck did shrink - a lot! - when I washed it.

Don't look at all that mess on the cutting station behind the dresser. I'll clean it up, I promise!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-04-08 ironing station 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	648281  
Old 04-09-2024, 07:12 AM

Nice ironing station, Dunster! I love that it has all the nice drawers. I also have "shelf envy". I love all your shelves with your fabrics on them. They're so pretty.

Mess? That not much of a mess. That's sort of the normal for my cutting area! lol
Old 04-11-2024, 05:05 PM

Love the new ironing station. Inspration felt while looking at your photo!
Old 04-17-2024, 03:35 PM

I would lean towards something heavier like the cotton duck that is well washed and pressed. I used woven striped ticking before which was quite nice to use for checking blocks for straightness while pressing. Currently I have a linen which has been the most resistant to the heated iron.