Dilemma - suggestions?

Old 04-11-2024, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
When I hear people say they can't sew, cook, etc. All I hear I don't want learn how. I immediately don't care.
Exactly what I think!
Old 04-16-2024, 10:25 AM

Smile Dilemma

So sorry to hear of this. It's hard to be firm with people who you have to see often. I had someone I had to be tough with ( my mother in law). Once I said no to her demands, she backed down. She became quite pleasant after that. So stand your ground, and be happier with yourself.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by GregB View Post
So sorry to hear of this. It's hard to be firm with people who you have to see often. I had someone I had to be tough with ( my mother in law). Once I said no to her demands, she backed down. She became quite pleasant after that. So stand your ground, and be happier with yourself.
I think bullies often back down when confronted. I've had the same experience.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:34 PM

Can't change the meal format, I've tried.
Can't change the location (or rotate between us) I've tried.
Have to see this person regularly, and she is so pleasant and seems easygoing ( Whenever you have time, I'm in no hurry) I think I will just stay away from the get togethers for awhile.... as there are a few other points of contention....
Old 04-17-2024, 07:41 AM

I believe in stating things out loud and directly, while doing it as nicely as possible. It is scary to speak up and set boundaries but it will work better in the long run --

I really like you and enjoy our time together. As friends I hope you understand what I am about to say -- quilting is my business and I am finding myself starting to resent the time I have spent quilting multiple quilts for you for free. I only meant to do one, and can't do them any more without harming our relationship. I don't want this little thing to get between us. In addition, there are some ways you can improve your tops for whoever quilts them, you, me, or someone else. If you'd like when we are visiting I would be happy to point out some of those things.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ElaineCovid View Post
Can't change the meal format, I've tried.
Can't change the location (or rotate between us) I've tried.
Have to see this person regularly, and she is so pleasant and seems easygoing ( Whenever you have time, I'm in no hurry) I think I will just stay away from the get togethers for awhile.... as there are a few other points of contention....
Why can't you change the meal format or the location? Aren't you and what's convenient for you just as important as this A person?
Old 04-17-2024, 04:13 PM

You said she is very nice - it sounds like she is truly passive/aggressive and used to getting her own way. I can tell you she is not giving this a second thought right now - it is bothering you. So as soon as you can, tell her you can no longer quilt her quilts for free. (Do you even want to quilt them for a fee? Can you trust her to pay you if she said she will?).

She will ask you when she has a quilt ready - so it is better that you tell her now so she can plan on either doing it herself or finding someone else.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
"I did that first one as a favor to you, but I can't keep quilting all your quilts for free. Do you understand?"
Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
I added "that's not going to work for me. " Don't give a reason because the manipulator/user/ control freak will fix your reason. The more you say it , the easier it gets. That's not going to work for me. Why not? It's not going to work for me. Over and over till they give up.
LOVE both of these answers!! Spot on!!

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
When I hear people say they can't sew, cook, etc. All I hear I don't want learn how. I immediately don't care.
Amen and amen!!!
Old 04-19-2024, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I can't wrap my head around someone who makes quilts, knowing the process, would think someone else can just quilt it for them for free. WOW!
My 2 cents- "I can't quilt for free anymore. PERIOD. No explanation needed.