Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 10-12, 2024 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 10-12, 2024

Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 10-12, 2024

Old 05-11-2024, 09:47 AM

I need to measure a quilt and carefully and then put on pieced borders that are part of the design of the outer blocks. Pin, pin, pin and sew. I hope it turns out. I have been procrastinating on this. Then a final border around the outside and then will be done with a flimsy.

I also hope to experiment with a few new techniques.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:43 PM

Heather, glad being late in posting the VQW was all that was going on. I'm working on Quilts of Valor, 3 Tours pattern. Want to finish the blocks for the first one this weekend. Have all the sets of stripes made for all the quilts.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:28 PM

I have been helping a friend recently with a small project she saw on pinterest and then her DD drew out a pattern. We ended up with numerous layers of fused fabrics, (too difficult to blanket stitch through by hand) so I am experimenting today, and think I have figured it out. Mine is at 9 x 12 1/2” at the moment. Will see what she thinks next Friday before I do any stitching on it (well that is the plan at the moment, but I might change my mind 🤪 )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2479.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	648547  
Old 05-11-2024, 02:36 PM

Good afternoon everyone.

I plan to quilt 2-4 tops for a friend on my Longarm. Then I need to find 10 - 4.5” quilt block patterns, for a 10 year guild anniversary throw. I have 6 weeks to get this done for our guild challenge. The colors are blue and silver or gray. I plan to use different blues and gray scraps. It need to be less than 24” square. That should keep me busy for the weekend.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:10 AM

After losing power for a few days, I have become a slug with so many excuses for not getting back into the sewing room. So, after making bread this afternoon, I will wipe down my beautiful new counter and layer a baby quilt for a little one that is due any day now. I hope to do some of the quilting too. Fingers, crossed. If not today, then tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:22 AM

Happy Mother's Day! After visiting my mom, I will be back joining pink squares for blocks. One block fell off the design wall, so I joined blocks to make strips. These blocks go together beautifully! I don't even need to trim them! I credit my new clappers used on every seam. I've developed a system for pressing, clapping (?), and joining rows to make it more time efficient.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pink shell1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	648548  
Old 05-12-2024, 04:30 AM

My weekend has been spent sewing shop samples. One quilt complete. The second is down to sewing rows together. Once the rows are all sewn, it will be side aside until Monday. I didn’t think I would get this far so fast. So I didn’t choose borders yet. The next sample is at the press fat quarter stage and I will chug along on this today between visits from my boys.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:54 AM

I didn't get any sewing done yesterday, hoping for a little today. Every other Saturday we go on a day trip to explore our new area and take the dogs for a walk. Yesterday was in a direction we haven't traveled yet about 2 hours away. It was a lovely day and a lovely park.

I did decide to leave the portable machine set up for straight stitching and after this post I will set up the vintage machine for zig zag. Husband is still sleeping in so I try to be quiet, sewing machine is right under his bed but a little purring from Remy (the vintage machine) shouldn't bother him.

Hope everyone has a good day whatever they are doing.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:11 AM

Hooray for small victories! Apparently I hadn't used the vintage machine since covid masks and it was already set up for zigzag. There was a period where we were out of all elastic and even hairbands but before mass produced masks were available so I was using up binding for the straps and zigzagged them shut.

I managed to get my needle threading bird in by feel -- the lightbulb wasn't working which didn't help and I figured the filament broke while moving but apparently it was just loose a bit and when I shut the cover the light turned on! When I get a new machine I will need a threading assist and bright lighting.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:24 AM

I managed to finish hand sewing the binding on my quilt. It is in the washer for a good cleaning. I want to start something new but need to shampoo carpets while the weather is good for open windows.