Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 AM

This happened to me by my dear MIL and SIL. Now that they have seen more quilts, my dear SIL keeps asking for one. I explained to her that I would not do a quilt for her because I would not want her offended by a "Cheap Homemade gift". Apparently, she was not pleased that I had used her own words for my reason not to do one. She finally went out a bought all her fabric for one, spent $150.00, and asked me to do it. I gave her a "How to Book". That was 10 years ago, still no quilt.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by bodie358

Best revenge? Never, ever, give her something you hand-crafted. It would not be appreciated and you can use your valuable time and talent to create something for someone that would cherish the love you put into it.
I agree. Never make anything for her, but if you educate her aobout the true cost (even without labor show receipts) see how she reacts then wait a few months or until the next holiday and make her something.

I'm not so nice about things. Not that I am mean, but I don't let things stay inside. I would have said something right then, politely of course, but she would have been educated immediately.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by cindy182
This happened to me by my dear MIL and SIL. Now that they have seen more quilts, my dear SIL keeps asking for one. I explained to her that I would not do a quilt for her because I would not want her offended by a "Cheap Homemade gift". Apparently, she was not pleased that I had used her own words for my reason not to do one. She finally went out a bought all her fabric for one, spent $150.00, and asked me to do it. I gave her a "How to Book". That was 10 years ago, still no quilt.
Holy Cow! YOu are AmZING!! ROFLMAO!!!

You rock!!!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:29 AM

Is it time to call a truce? Offer to help her make it. $150 worth of fabric is a shame to waste. If you help her make it she will definately realize what a job it is to create a large quilt. At least think about it.

Years ago I saw a picture of a Mariners Compass, a very complex one with around 150 pieces per block. I asked my mother if she'd make me one. She said, "You'd better shake your head and see if it rattles, I'm not making anything like that. If you want one you'll have to make it yourself." (didn't hurt my feelings at all--we both laughed) I now have a Mariner's Compass quilt that I made myself and I understand why mom wouldn't make it! I should mention that my mother made exquisite quilts completely by hand. And that she was totally blind in one eye, had poor vision in the other, suffered from Lupus, arthritis, Collegens disease and Raynods--I had no idea what I was asking of her at the time.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
A lot of people feel that minimizing others somehow elevates themselves. Sadly, your SIL appears to be one of those. So sorry you experienced her like that.
I think that this may describe her and also the term "clueless". some people should just stick to putting their foot in their mouth and not saying a word.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Is it time to call a truce? Offer to help her make it. $150 worth of fabric is a shame to waste. If you help her make it she will definately realize what a job it is to create a large quilt. At least think about it.

Years ago I saw a picture of a Mariners Compass, a very complex one with around 150 pieces per block. I asked my mother if she'd make me one. She said, "You'd better shake your head and see if it rattles, I'm not making anything like that. If you want one you'll have to make it yourself." (didn't hurt my feelings at all--we both laughed) I now have a Mariner's Compass quilt that I made myself and I understand why mom wouldn't make it! I should mention that my mother made exquisite quilts completely by hand. And that she was totally blind in one eye, had poor vision in the other, suffered from Lupus, arthritis, Collegens disease and Raynods--I had no idea what I was asking of her at the time.
I would have thought about it, but I also knit, and there have been a few remarks about gifting them also. She thinks that I can whip it up in a day (that remark was made numerous times). I think she could whip it up in 2 days (after all she would be new to this) lol
Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Originally Posted by amma
I was thinking the other day how it USED to be that you could sew clothing and other items much cheaper than the same store bought items... I think that same train of thought is embedded into many people's brains.... They probably never go to any fabric store, so they are totally clueless what fabric, batting, patterns and notions cost.
First time I went into a LQS (it was my friend's mom, the shop had just opened), I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price on the bolts. $8/yard?! Only a crazy person would pay that. Well, fast forward 6 months or so and I was addicted. So I agree that part is people just not understanding the cost. Especially if they've looked at WalMart or Joanns where it's a few dollars/yd. All in the reference point.
A couple years ago I took my mom to Joann's when she was shopping for fabric for a quilt she wanted me to make for a baby gift for her and she almost had a cardiac arrest right on the spot when she saw the price on the bolts of fabric. She said "are they nuts? The last time I bought cotton for a quilt I got beautiful fabric 3 yards for $1.00 and heavy weight flannel was 4 yards for $1.00!!" Must admit, she made quilts 60 years ago and the cost of living has gone ..Up...UP...UPPPP since she was making them but she didn't know that because she hadn't shopped for fabric for quilts in all those years. I sure wish they still had that 3 yards for $1.00 price! EEEEEKKKK, I'd have to move my DH OUT so I could get more fabric in! :lol:

I have people in my family who have quilts from me...I also have family members who DON'T and NEVER WILL because they are clueless. I could give one of them a beautiful quilt and a day later if they needed a picnic blanket or something to lay on to work on the car that quilt would be the ground cover. Nope, won't spend time on quilts for them.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:47 AM

We've probably all had some footprints on our tongues at one time or another but some folks have walked a rut into theirs.

Dad used to tell us, "Good words taste better if there comes a time when you have to eat them."
Old 03-12-2010, 05:55 AM

When you think someone can't be any more stupid, be careful. Sure enough they'll raise the level on you again. LOL
It's really a shame that the government can't tax stupidity--the national debt would be absolved in just a year or so.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 AM
JJs
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureready
When you think someone can't be any more stupid, be careful. Sure enough they'll raise the level on you again. LOL
It's really a shame that the government can't tax stupidity--the national debt would be absolved in just a year or so.
I think I love that!!