Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 PM

I had a 'friend" tell me that she loves quilts, but only handmade ones...the other ones don't "have love in them.' I asked if, by "other ones" she meant machine quilted pieces...she said that yes, that was what she meant. The week prior to this exchange, I had spent a good chunk of money on fabric to make one of the "other" quilts for her...
now, i'm thinking that that fabric will look really nice made into a quilt for MY guestroom bed. I guess I'm glad I found out on this side of making it for her.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 PM

I don't know if I'm hard-hearted or hard-headed, probably a lot of both, but the older I get the harder people have to work to hurt my feelings. Even if by some chance they manage to, I never carry it around with me for long. I quit trying to figure out what makes hurtful people tick I just try to remember and be thankful that I don't have to walk in their shoes. Can you imagine the fear, the constant second guessing every move, and the feelings of inferiority that they have to live with every waking moment? Sad, sad, sad. Maybe I just really like me. Yeah, I'm sure I do. Talent, brains, beauty, what's not to like? Okay, the beauty part was a pretty big stretch of the imagination, alright, it was more like pure fiction but I'm comfortable with me and that's what counts.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:09 PM

I am so happy to read these notes, to know that a lot of you think like I do. If someone dosen't like my work or makes fun of the fact that I like quilting ( old-fashioned in some people's eyes) I don't try to change their minds. There are enough nice people to quilt for without the stress of trying to please someone who couldn't care less.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:07 PM

I do quilts for me, whether I give them as gifts, or keep them myself, quilting is therapy for me. I know that some people do not appreciate the labor, expense, work and love that goes into every quilt. I can shoulder the expense, it is cheaper that going to a phycologist for me at least. I will just keep quilting for the people in my life that appreciate it. No hurt feelings for me. I just keep going about my quilting. Problem solved. Just call it Quiltologist.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureready
I don't know if I'm hard-hearted or hard-headed, probably a lot of both, but the older I get the harder people have to work to hurt my feelings. Even if by some chance they manage to, I never carry it around with me for long. I quit trying to figure out what makes hurtful people tick I just try to remember and be thankful that I don't have to walk in their shoes. Can you imagine the fear, the constant second guessing every move, and the feelings of inferiority that they have to live with every waking moment? Sad, sad, sad. Maybe I just really like me. Yeah, I'm sure I do. Talent, brains, beauty, what's not to like? Okay, the beauty part was a pretty big stretch of the imagination, alright, it was more like pure fiction but I'm comfortable with me and that's what counts.
You are just great! Penny
Old 03-13-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by cindy182
I do quilts for me, whether I give them as gifts, or keep them myself, quilting is therapy for me. I know that some people do not appreciate the labor, expense, work and love that goes into every quilt. I can shoulder the expense, it is cheaper that going to a phycologist for me at least. I will just keep quilting for the people in my life that appreciate it. No hurt feelings for me. I just keep going about my quilting. Problem solved. Just call it Quiltologist.
I like that term. I think I'll use that from now on when people say, "What do you do?" because when I say, "I'm retired" they assume I do nothing. Taking care of a disabled husband, an 11 yr old daughter, a large house, quilting, painting, scrapbooking,
cooking, genealogy, rubber stamping, etc. Yep, that's nothing alright. Maybe now I can say, "I'm a professionally indulgent Quiltologist." My quilts may not be professional but my indulgence has been a life long study that's closs to perfection.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:50 AM

hi to all! I have made many quilts, some I sold.
I made 3 quilts for 3 granddauthers. They do not repect
them, I offen find on the floor.
And sure wound not make one for my youngest son
Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 AM

Why didn't you say anything? People DON'T know how much fabric costs - or thread - or patterns - or books - or supplies. They don't know because they don't buy them.
I don't know about you, but it is hard to make any project for less than $100 and folks who do not make quilts just don't know that.
Educate her. Maybe she did not mean to hurt your feelings.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:08 AM

I think her comment pretty much typifies that she is a very shallow person. and a hateful 'Itch! and yes , she just doesn't get it!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 AM

Quilters make miniature quilts for those people who love minis. I made some and a friend who made and sold miniatures for doll houses, etc. sold them like hotcakes for a good price. Then a friend came along and saw the work and said, "Are those going to be hotpads?" HA! I made a rule a long time ago. I look at the person I am making a quilt for and if they appreciate quilts I will make something nice. If I think it will be wrapped around the refrigerator on their next move, they will likely get a denim quilt or a simple wall hanging. Make the quilt fit the user!