Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fons & Porter Subscription >

Fons & Porter Subscription

Fons & Porter Subscription

Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 PM

I got an invoice a month or more ago and called their toll-free number immediately and said I had not subscribed and did not want the magazine. But, here's the thing: I can never get to talk to a live person there; I only ever have the choice of leaving a message or being on hold until I get tired of it. I received another invoice last week, which I threw in the trash and I received a magazine with another invoice yesterday. I tried their toll-free number again with the same results ... was on hold for 15 minutes and I then decided I'll put a postage stamp on the envelope and return the invoice with "CANCEL, PLEASE" on it. Perhaps they'll get the msg. Either way, I'm not paying for the magazine subscription.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
I got an invoice a month or more ago and called their toll-free number immediately and said I had not subscribed and did not want the magazine. But, here's the thing: I can never get to talk to a live person there; I only ever have the choice of leaving a message or being on hold until I get tired of it. I received another invoice last week, which I threw in the trash and I received a magazine with another invoice yesterday. I tried their toll-free number again with the same results ... was on hold for 15 minutes and I then decided I'll put a postage stamp on the envelope and return the invoice with "CANCEL, PLEASE" on it. Perhaps they'll get the msg. Either way, I'm not paying for the magazine subscription.
I have some success with hitting the zero button repeatedly (slowly) until I get a person. I have my mom do that when she needs to talk to a person.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 PM

I'm not sure that will work with this particular # because you never really get put on hold. It rings about 7 times, then you get a bunch of crap about what # to call to place an order and then a msg. that all reps. are busy, yada, yada, yada, and this procedure repeats over and over ... probably forever and ever.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Zoe

I no longer subscribe to Fons & Porter for many of the same reasons noted here. They are using an outsource firm for the renewals. I agree with the lady who wrote that she goes to the library to read their magazine.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:50 PM

I have found that most magazines, not just the quilting ones start billing you aout 6 months in advance hoping to get you hooked on renewing again. I have started a log of when I order, the length of time I should recieve the magazine and what I think of the magazine. I have eliminated quite a few that way. They bill long before the renewal is ready.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 PM

That happened to me as well. I had to call. When I get a bill like that I pay it online if I can, but then I always have to call and make sure they applied it to the bill they sent or did they actually think I wanted 2 subscriptions to the same magazine???
Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 PM

I called on that one (the automatic billing of a credit card), seems that in the microscopic print, they have your tacit approval to bill and take, because it happened before. This is one that really got me, was looking at a list of books that were of quilting (what else?) interest, sticking them on the wish list for a later look-see and then having them arrive in the mail. The worst part is that I have an account, used only for online purchases, and I put in only enough to cover the purchase being made. The bank hit me for $30. I won't be buying from that book company again! Those two books are my "two more to purchase in one year" books.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 PM

I hate it when you send the bill one month,another one comes and is offering a free gift that wasn't on the bill you just paid. Guess who? (Fons and porter) I have a note on it to give them a call on my day off, but now I know I won't be able to find a phone number.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by lucyb
I hate it when you send the bill one month,another one comes and is offering a free gift that wasn't on the bill you just paid. Guess who? (Fons and porter) I have a note on it to give them a call on my day off, but now I know I won't be able to find a phone number.
There are phone numbers just inside the magazine where all the editorial & publishing info. is. That's the # that I call and always get a recording that all reps are busy and "please stay on the line". I would type that # here for you, but it is downstairs and I am upstairs. If you don't own a F&P magazine and need that telephone #, pm me and I'll get it for you. Who knows, you might get lucky and get to talk to a real person.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 PM

I keep a note book with all my subscription written in it. I put the name of the magazine,how much I paid, how long the subscription is for, and the date I sent out the bill. For the most part this has worked fine execpt when I was double billed and my DH brought in the mail and paid the bills on the same day. I called them so they would extend my subscription instead of sending duplicates.