Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat >

Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat

Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat

Old 03-13-2010, 01:16 PM

I don't really understand why nobody involved seems to have pet insurance, which would cover this? That is what it's for, and it's especially important for dogs, whether they are always on a lead or not, as leads can break or unforeseen things can happen.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:43 PM
bkb

You stated in your post that the neighbors help your mother, that means they are good hearted people. Talk to them, pray before the talk and after. then I would call moms house ins. man and ask him how to proceed. Kitty was home, puppies weren't.It is hard taking care of a parent that is elderly and finding things just get a little rougher each year, her neighbors are nice enough to help her..maybe they don't know she can't afford the vet bill.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:12 PM
JJs
Banned

not a pet cat but a three year old child just the other day - and NOT a rotty or pit or german shepherd.... but dogs people "assume" are "ok"

Dogs attack, drag toddler in Semmes neighborhood

March 12, 2010, 8:01AM
3-year-old girl was bitten and dragged by three dogs in her neighborhood Thursday morning, according to investigators. The girl later required 161 stitches.

She was in her backyard when two Labradors and a blue heeler grabbed her, said Mobile County Commission spokeswoman speaking for the county's animal control officers.

Johnson did not know what provoked the dogs.

The dogs' owner, has been charged with three counts of dogs running at large, which is a misdemeanor, Johnson said. Warrants for his arrest were signed Thursday afternoon, she said.

The owner lives near the girl, Johnson said, and his dogs were not confined properly in his yard. Johnson did not know owner's age.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:41 PM

I was out walking my dog without a leash (which I would never do now) and my neighbor's dogs got out and chased my dog, jumping on her and breaking her leg. I asked the owners of the dogs to pay the vet bill and they refused so I took them to court. We were both at fault because neither one of us had our dogs on a leash, I was awarded half of my vet bill and court costs. I thought that was fair.

Cats are free roamers and stuff happens to them. I personally don't keep my cat indoors, my last cat was 18 when she passed away, so I have pretty good luck with my cats being indoor/outdoor. They have a cat door in the family room and in the garage so they can get in quickly if they need too.

If my cat were hurt by a dog off the leash in neutral territory I would pursue help with the vet bill. If my cat were hurt because he was in my neighbor's yard and the dog got him, I would assume all the responsibility of the vet bill.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:51 PM

In our area, cats are licensed just like dogs and are to be kept at home....on the other side, there is a leash law where you live, and the dogs should have been under the control of their owners. I suggest talking to the dogs owners, and asking them to assist with the Vet bills...and ...not being mean or pointing the finger...but some of the responsibility is yours (your Mom's) as the cat was allowed outside. After loosing our 3rd cat (many years ago) in a freak accident with a cars motor, in the winter months, we decided that cats should be confined to the home unless we were able able to handle the consequence of allowing them to roam...we were not. Smitty is 13, Callie is 9 and Jack is "about 5"---healthy and happy; safe and secure inside their home.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM
bkb

Favorite Fabrics would you please let us know how this situation is resolved? Hugs to both you and your mom.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Oh dear. I'm afraid you may not like my opinion. Here is my opinion: Cats are domestic animals just like dogs. They are NOT wild animals. Just as you wouldn't let your dog run loose, you should not let your cat run loose. And one of the main reasons is exactly what happened to your mom's cat, among a host of others. According to almost all animal experts I've ever read, and every vet I've had a relationship with, cats should be indoor animals only. If they are allowed outside, they should be supervised, or in an enclosure they cannot get out of.

I am very, very sorry this happened, but I believe that the full responsibility lies with the owner of the cat. And I do have both dogs and cats.
I agree 100%. Check your local ordinances. If they have a leash lawn . . . they almost certainly will have a "cat containment" law too. The only way to protect your pet (whether dog or cat) is to keep them CONTAINED (either in your fenced yard or on leash if dog and inside if cat). Now, you should brush up on the local ordinances and contact the authorities anytime you see dogs about in the neighborhood off-leash. Take photos, collect eye-witness accounts ect. Many times if the owner is fined for violations, they will learn their lesson and do the right thing with there roaming dogs.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:48 PM

I don't know about who should pay the bill, but I would definitely make sure to report the dog who was already involved in an attack. My sister's dog was killed last year by a dog who had just been adopted by the neighbors. The dog had to be put down, because it had attacked another animal and was deemed vicious. The thing that made me the most angry was the owners who were supposedly "helping" the dog. If they had have been responsible, both animals would be still living healthy, happy lives. Instead, they managed to "rescue" a beautiful dog for just a few days before he was put down.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Lyn

First of all I am SO sorry about your mom's cat. I volunteer with a local feline rescue. We try so hard to explain to people that even if kitty wants out you have to keep them in. We have several reasons why, among them are: wild animals, poisons, diseases, dogs, neighbors,... it goes on and on. I think the dog owners were in the wrong but if kitty had been indoors this wouldn't have happened. We do not adopt to people who let them outside.

Yes your dog can run free inside an invisible fence if it has been trained to stay in your yard and you keep the collar on and your yard is marked. The problem is the stray dogs that come into our yard. Our dog is only allowed outside the fence with a leash on and yes I pick up her poop when I walk her. Pet owners have to take resposibility for their pets.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Having a pet now is much more then having a dog in the yard and a few cats in the barn. It is a major responsibility and expense. Good food, medical, insurance, grooming, and devoted chunk of time is needed for any pet.