Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fons & Porter Subscription >

Fons & Porter Subscription

Fons & Porter Subscription

Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 PM

I saw the F&P magazine with a CD or DVD in it and I have a subscription so I didn't buy it. I called them and they said it was an incentive so people would buy the magazine. I asked what about those of us who have a subscription, can't we have the DVD as well? No, because we didn't buy the magazine but we'll send you a CD the lady told me. I did get a DVD of something ( I haven't looked at it yet) but now I see McCalls Quick Quilts is doing the same thing. I don't mean to be selfish, but if they are giving away CD's, people with subscriptions should get one too. I probably won't renew my F&P subscription when it expires.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:29 AM

my husband subscribed to a magazine for me

when it expired, we got weekly mail to renew

NOW!! (more than 18 months later) he is getting phone calls weekly

he has told them we will NOT renew, a combination of them nagging him and the magazine being less than great value for money
Old 03-14-2010, 04:36 AM

I know there's problems but I still subscribe. I received my magazine yesterday and while there wasn't a whole lot in it that I want to do, it sure was enjoyable to be able to stop for a few minutes and relax while looking through it. I only subscribe to Fon & Porter and Quilter's World.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

I haven't been happy with Fon's and Porter lately. Their magazine just isn't what it used to be, so I didn't renew my subscription. They called me on the phone, wanting to know why, after years of getting their magazine I no longer wanted it. It just seems to cater to easy quilts, and new quilters. All of the magazines send out statements that look like you owe them, You have to be really careful. It is a marketing tool they use to trick us into renewing our subscriptions.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by dorsey
I subscribed to Quilters Home because it was supposed to be different & funny. Different it was but not funny. The main man is crude & rude. It took me 4 months & 4 letters to get my money refunded for issues not sent. Of course by then the subscription was almost up. I told members of my quilt guild, so that will be a few $ he won't get.
I sure agree with this....I heard he sold his rights????
Old 03-14-2010, 05:15 AM
wv

I don't care if a company does out source it's subscription renewal process, it is still their name and their product that is being represented. I feel it is a direct reflection on them and their business ethics. When ever I get annoying subscription notices after I have asked the company to stop I simply fill the self addressed stamped envelope with confetti. I write on the renewal card: PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME AGAIN in bold letters. The confetti gums up their automatic letter opener so my envelope gets the attention of a real person, and my bold writing gets the message across.

I told my mother I did this and she was shocked, she said she thought she raised me better than to be so mean. But I saw my dad taking confetti pieces out of the shreader machine the other day when a batch of junk mail came arrived. Might be mean, but I come by it honestly.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by dlf0122quilting
I have found that most magazines, not just the quilting ones start billing you aout 6 months in advance hoping to get you hooked on renewing again. I have started a log of when I order, the length of time I should recieve the magazine and what I think of the magazine. I have eliminated quite a few that way. They bill long before the renewal is ready.
Yes!! That is so true about the billing way in advance! At one time I was so naive as to think that the quilting magazine companies just had to be as nice as the people whose columns and editorials I read in the magazines. Not true! it's just big business and the lovely ladies and sometimes gentlemen who actually edit and write for the magazines have nothing at all to do with the selling of the magazine. The publishers are out for the old dollar just like every other business! I now do some of the things the lady above does. Every time I pay for a renewal of a subscription, I put it in my "paid bills" file. Then when I get any correspondence from one of them I can look back immediately and see what's going on. I no longer blindly trust any magazine company, and never should have.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:51 AM

I once paid for two years at once because it was such a deal. I never got the second year. Couldn't locate proof that I'd paid---lost that money. Yes, it was F & P. I never had that problem with Quiltmaker---now the only mag I subscribe to.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by LindaR
Originally Posted by dorsey
I subscribed to Quilters Home because it was supposed to be different & funny. Different it was but not funny. The main man is crude & rude. It took me 4 months & 4 letters to get my money refunded for issues not sent. Of course by then the subscription was almost up. I told members of my quilt guild, so that will be a few $ he won't get.
I sure agree with this....I heard he sold his rights????
I took a look at the first issues that came out. Remember at first you HAD to buy them in the store, he hadn't gotten big enough to sell subscriptions? I really disliked what I saw. A lot of the things he does and talks about, have little to do with good old fashioned quiltmaking. And I guess he would put the emphasis on OLD FASHIONED! I never subscribed. Now it looks like someone else publishes his magazine. Is it McCall's? But it really doesn't matter. I have to hand it to him though, he sure makes beautiful quilts.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I go to Barnes and Nobles once a month (alone!) and spend several hours browsing the quilt magazines. It's fun to sit and look at every new issue and be able to choose which one(s) I want to buy. Lately I've noticed the quilt magazine from other countries are super nice. No fast and easy quilts in those. I like reading the new quilt book reviews and then having the book right there to check it out for myself. B&N usually have the new quilt books.