Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for good Vegan recipes >

Looking for good Vegan recipes

Looking for good Vegan recipes

Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 AM

I too am a non meat eater, have been 1 for many years, but do eat dairy.
Was an animal resuer for years and just decided back then not to eat what I was helping in this world.
amtnquilter
Old 03-19-2010, 11:51 AM

I LOVE this!! It calls for chicken broth but you can sub with veggie broth - it is delicious!! I have made it many times without the almonds and have eaten it without the couscous as if it were a stew. You could also use rice instead of couscous - so many variatons, so yummy!!

Butternut Squash and Couscous

1/4 cup(s) sliced almonds
2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne
1/8 teaspoon(s) grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
1 cup(s) canned diced tomatoes with their juice (from one 15-ounce can)
1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1/4 cup(s) raisins
3 cup(s) canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
1 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
2 cup(s) drained and rinsed canned chickpeas (one 19-ounce can)
3/4 cup(s) chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 cup(s) water
1 1/2 cup(s) couscous

Directions

1.In a small frying pan toast the almonds over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Or, toast them in a 350°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes.

2.In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cayenne, nutmeg and cinnamon and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, squash, raisins, broth and 1 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a simmer. Stir in the chickpeas and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in the parsley.

3.Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the water and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir in the couscous. Cover, remove from the heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve the stew over the couscous and top with the toasted almonds.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by heather_campbell
Hi Sharon,
Check out this page
http://old.endearing.com/recipes.html

I am one of the owners of this record label, we are vegetarians. This is a page from an old version of our website, we used to do a monthly newsletter with information about our bands and releases and then we included a vegetarian or vegan recipe with the newsletter. This is an archive of recipes.

Our new site is at http://www.endearing.com but we took off all the veg recipes.

Some of these recipes are mine, some are from friends. But I can recommend:
Baked Veggie Casserole
Colleen's spicy peanut noodles
Couscous Tacos
Dahl soup from Kevin Scott
Heavy Blinkers Vegan Chocolate Birthday Cake
Tofu in a Hot Honey sauce
Tofu/Veggie Pot Pie (this one has milk and cream of mushroom soup, but you could sub in soy milk and some other vegan sauce inside like mushroom gravy)
Veggie Stew and Dumplings.

I've been vegetarian for 25 years, there are lots of yummy things out there!
Heather
Thanks for the link, I made the Veggie Pot Pie, absolutely delicious and I marked the site in my favorites as some of these recipees seem very good
Old 03-23-2010, 01:27 PM

you can also go to Epicurious.com , they have a section for vegans. or veganchef.com that is really good site. i got a few recpies for a friend from there.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:32 PM

Not to toot my own horn, but I made my veggie gravy again last night (we had it with a faux meat loaf) and my partner swears I could market it, it's so good.

Easy to make, great if you want gravy with your fries, mashed potatoes, etc or if you are Canadian and looking to make poutine:

7 tbsp margarine or butter
6 to 7 tbsp flour
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock (cubes or powder is fine, just make according to the package)
1/2 cup red wine
1/3 cup soy sauce (lite or Japanese style like Kikoman works best, if you're worried about it being salty, use low sodium)
fresh pepper to taste

Melt the butter in the microwave in a 5 to 6 cup pyrex bowl or dish. Add in the flour with a fork or a whisk until it forms a sticky paste. Slowly whisk in the wine, soy and veg stock so that there are no lumps. Add fresh pepper.

Bring to a boil in the microwave. I usually do around 5 minutes on maximum power and then probably another 10 minutes or so on around 60 to 70 percent power. During these remaining 10 minutes, stop the microwave every 3 or 4 minutes and whisk it so that nothing gets lumpy. You'll know it's done when it thickens up. Time will obviously vary based on how powerful your microwave is. This makes a fairly big batch, but it reheats really well.