Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-13-2010, 02:04 PM

SIL's can be that way some times, but you should have told her the money you had in fabric and that your time is priceless.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:04 PM

i made a quilt for my second granddaughter, and her mother not a dear dil, folded it up and put it under the tv so it wouldn't scratch the table.

she just had a baby boy, i sent a gift card for babies r us...

my other very dear dil was putting the grandbabies quilts up on the wall so they couldn't harm them. i told her give the kids thier quilts, if they love them to death, i'll make another.

now she quilts too, and used the same pattern i used for my granddaughter for her new niece.

like many have said, some people get it, and some people don't
Old 03-13-2010, 03:19 PM

You sure have that right. No one, but quilters know what all goes into quilting.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:18 AM

I find that people who don't take their time to give from their hearts by actually making something, have no clue how much time and expense goes into things. I would say her comment is more of a reflection on her way of thinking than yours. So just let it go and keep doing what you do. :-o
Old 03-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I don't know if I'm hard-hearted or hard-headed, probably a lot of both, but the older I get the harder people have to work to hurt my feelings. Even if by some chance they manage to, I never carry it around with me for long. I quit trying to figure out what makes hurtful people tick I just try to remember and be thankful that I don't have to walk in their shoes. Can you imagine the fear, the constant second guessing every move, and the feelings of inferiority that they have to live with every waking moment? Sad, sad, sad. Maybe I just really like me. Yeah, I'm sure I do. Talent, brains, beauty, what's not to like? Okay, the beauty part was a pretty big stretch of the imagination, alright, it was more like pure fiction but I'm comfortable with me and that's what counts.
Amen, sister! Well said. I have a coworker who has pushed my buttons in the past and I've spent so much energy trying to figure her out. Just recently, finally decided, no more. I'll do my best to keep out of her way and I will not feel sad anymore about the missed opportunity. Have decided it's her loss even though she is probably clueless about her cement roller approach to many people.
Thanks!
lots2do
Old 03-14-2010, 12:32 PM

For 'cindy182' hope you don't mind if I call myself a "quiltologist" as well. That's perfect. I am retired and people think I do nothing. I give my quilts to family and friends who will value them, anyone who dosen't fit that description can make their own.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Originally Posted by raptureready
I don't know if I'm hard-hearted or hard-headed, probably a lot of both, but the older I get the harder people have to work to hurt my feelings. Even if by some chance they manage to, I never carry it around with me for long. I quit trying to figure out what makes hurtful people tick I just try to remember and be thankful that I don't have to walk in their shoes. Can you imagine the fear, the constant second guessing every move, and the feelings of inferiority that they have to live with every waking moment? Sad, sad, sad. Maybe I just really like me. Yeah, I'm sure I do. Talent, brains, beauty, what's not to like? Okay, the beauty part was a pretty big stretch of the imagination, alright, it was more like pure fiction but I'm comfortable with me and that's what counts.
Amen, sister! Well said. I have a coworker who has pushed my buttons in the past and I've spent so much energy trying to figure her out. Just recently, finally decided, no more. I'll do my best to keep out of her way and I will not feel sad anymore about the missed opportunity. Have decided it's her loss even though she is probably clueless about her cement roller approach to many people.
Thanks!
lots2do
Years ago I had a boss that was HORRIBLE. My first day she got a new job and announced, "I'm leaving in two weeks and between now and then I'm going to cram my 10 years of knowledge into your head." She certainly gave it her best shot and at the time I couldn't stand her. After she left I began to appreciate her efforts. One day I ran into her and told her, "When I first met you I couldn't stand you." She just laughed and said, "No one can when they first meet me---the smart ones get over it." We've been friends ever since and I've adopted her outlook. And I've found out she's right, the smart ones do. :lol:
Old 03-14-2010, 06:01 PM

I thought that we all were Quiltologists. That is the only reason that we would put up with all the work, planning, cutting, ripping seams, piecing, oh did I say ripping seams, ironing, rolling, sewing, shopping, crying, laughing and did I say ripping seams (lol).

If you are a quilter, you are entitled to the title of Quiltologist.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by jljquilter
One niece has two quilts, the other one has one. They are sisters. The first one has used both of hers and never fails to thank me again for them when I see her. One quilt was given almost 15 years ago as a graduation gift and the other one as a Wedding gift. Sister #2 never said anything about the one she got. Thats why she only has one. My Ml has two that she uses as bedspreads because they are "to beautiful" to cover up. Some people "get it" and some don't. Those who don't get it don't get quilts again.
I agree wholeheartedly with this response!!! lol
Old 03-14-2010, 06:43 PM

She sounds like a real dork! Just chalk it off to ignorance, keep smiling and know that some of us know and appreciate what you do! Including your MIL no doubt!

Yours in quilting Love.........