I Have Been Selected !

Old 03-16-2010, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
That is awesome! After the Ohio Writers Conference, would you be willing to post your essay so we can read it? (Not before, because posting might disqualify it. There might be a rule about it not being published, and posting it on the web counts as publishing it.)

Congratulations, and please tell us all about the conference when you get back.

Also, congratulations on starting college in three weeks!
Thanks to everyone for your nice comments and encouraging words. The Ohio Writers Conference will be publishing a book called "Beginnings". It will include my essay along with other adult learners across Ohio. I will ask my instructor if I may post the essay here for everyone to see before the conference.

My essay was a class assignment, titled My Most Memorable Day. I wrote about a horseback ride I took through Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah. It truly was an experience I will never forget!! Utah has some beautiful landscape and seeing it from the back of a horse can make it a special experience.
I will keep you posted how the conference goes. Thanks for letting me share with you this exciting time in my life!!
:D
Old 03-16-2010, 03:13 AM

Awesome and Congratulations!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:29 AM

Congratulations!!!! Good work!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 AM

Good on you there!! Congrats, and godspeed - age is only a number and a state of mind!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 AM

CONGRADULATIONS!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!
Hey, I live just outside of Columbus in Westerville, Ohio
Where are you going to be staying? Would you like a list of the really good Quilt shops in Columbus? PM me and let me know.
Maybe we can meet up or something.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 AM

ok, sorry, did not see when I replied that you are from Ohio
Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 AM

I asked my instructor today if I could post my essay and she said it would be fine. I did find out that there are entries all over Ohio sent in, but they only select 100 of them. I am so humbled and proud at the same time. Here is my essay.

My Most Memorable Day
I knew I was headed for a hair-raising experience when I saw the pamphlet advertisement. The day I took a guided horseback ride through Bryce Canyon National Park became a memorable excursion, unlike any other. The selection of the groups and their guides, the narrow path that wound down to the Canyon, and the beautiful landscape was all the experience I needed to someday return again to this exhilarating expedition. A guided horseback ride onto the floor of Bryce Canyon tested my spirit and resolution.

To begin with, the horses in the corral were the biggest I had ever seen. Tied to their posts and dusty, I knew they had blazed this trail many times. Trail guides were busy preparing for the journey, talking among themselves, and welcoming the tourists. I felt a great sense of apprehension about the ride, but the trail guide assured me these horses were skilled and well trained. While this may have been true, my instincts told me to run. Everyone mounted the horse chosen for them by the guide and then the process of appointing guides with groups began. I was assigned to the last group and the last guide, for what seemed to ensure me the veteran scout.

After receiving our riding instructions, we headed toward the canyon to begin our descent. Leaving Sunrise Point, the trail was narrow with drop offs on both sides. Soon on our way, we passed a woman walking back from the group up ahead. She had been so frightened during the ride that she abandoned her horse and walked back to the corral. Feeling threatened, I determined not to speculate what might be waiting for me up ahead. So with great anticipation I watched our guide take the reins of her horse and proceed to lead us down the chancy trail. I was petrified while my horse mastered the sharp switchback with barely room to maneuver. My horse skillfully placed his feet near the edge of the trail while following behind the rider ahead of him. Slowly and steadily, my horse made turn after turn. As my heart raced and panic overtook me, I remembered what the expert guide instructed each one of us, “Trust your horse, he is sure of his footing.” I knew if I was ever going to enjoy this adventure I would have to do just that. Besides, as I looked around the other horses were rehearsing the same routine. So I began to relax and trust my horse for the thrilling descent to the bottom of the canyon floor.

In any event, the frightening experience to begin with could not diminish the astounding beauty of what I viewed on the two-hour ride that memorable day. In particular, the skies were brilliant and nothing could shut out the sun's-rays. We rode on, viewing some of the oldest Joshua trees and rock formations, thousands of years in the making. Majestic views, compelling photo op's, and the good humor from our trail guide made this an unforgettable day.

On the whole, the horseback ride through Bryce Canyon was a thrilling adventure. The dependable horses and cowboys were the authentic players in this drama. With the scary descent to the canyon floor and the enchanting rock pinnacles, one can see how this day was exhilarating. I had learned to trust man's oldest and most reliable mode of transportation, to take me on a trip to see the world from a new perspective. :D :-D
Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 AM

Congratulations on both major accomplishments :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-16-2010, 07:39 AM

Take time to be soooo proud of yourself! Congratulations---Learning is a lifelong experience---You get a big pat on the back from me! :thumbup:
Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 AM

Congratulations! I don't even know you but I'm very proud of what you're accomplishing, :thumbup: