Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Post what Walmarts carry fabric >

Post what Walmarts carry fabric

Post what Walmarts carry fabric

Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Great! The more letters sent, the better.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:20 AM

There should be a link on the main website, www.walmart.com. The toll free number is: 1-800-wal-mart.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:52 PM

I just sent out my 3 snail letters today. I'll lol if I get 3 form letters back (which I'm sure I will). I'll keep you all posted as to what kind of responses I receive.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM

thanks for correcting me, I am not from there, I live about 60 miles south of there.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 AM

SHOUT OUT TO UTAH Quilter.....by st. george exit 4 there is a fairly new walmart, does anyone know if they carry fabric?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 AM

When our local Walmart discontinued the fabric department I yanked our prescriptions out (we have 8 maintenance Rxs that are filled monthly) and started coupon shopping. I now buy groceries at Bi-Lo and Publix and we have more food for less money! Although I hate WalMart for discontinuing their fabric, I am better satisfied with the service at a regular drug store and we are spending much less on better quality and more food. I guess I found the silver lining! Now, if for some reason I HAVE to go to WalMart, it feels weird, like "why did I ever shop here????"
Old 03-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shelia
When our local Walmart discontinued the fabric department I yanked our prescriptions out (we have 8 maintenance Rxs that are filled monthly) and started coupon shopping. I now buy groceries at Bi-Lo and Publix and we have more food for less money! Although I hate WalMart for discontinuing their fabric, I am better satisfied with the service at a regular drug store and we are spending much less on better quality and more food. I guess I found the silver lining! Now, if for some reason I HAVE to go to WalMart, it feels weird, like "why did I ever shop here????"
Sheila,

I think you should send a letter to Wal-Mart and tell them why you left, and how you are now saving more at other locations. Be really specific about it ("... and we now save over $100/month by buying groceries here....and we save $28/month by getting our prescriptions filled here...", etc. If someone at Wal-Mart does a little bit of math, and figures you are the average shopper who left, and you represent, say, 50 people, multiply those dollars they no longer get x 50 and they will be surprised.

Sam Walton had a good idea to begin with. He lived the American Dream. But, like all good things, people who had college degrees (and likely no common sense) were hired and they have ruined a lot of the good things he did.

JMHO.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Hey!! Be careful about calling people who have college degrees having no common sense. Not nice and not appreciated.
The management at Wal-Mart are strictly concerned about the bottom line and that equates to their profit margin, not common sense. They don't make a large profits on fabric like they do on electronics, so obviously, they want to take the fabric away and devote the valuble space to high profit items.
I'm not agreeing with them by any means. I think that Wal-Mart should instead show some good will and keep their fabric departments. This would certainly help keep their loyal customers who shop their stores and purchase fabric along with their other merchandise, such as groceries and other goods.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by EllaBud
Hey!! Be careful about calling people who have college degrees having no common sense. Not nice and not appreciated.
The management at Wal-Mart are strictly concerned about the bottom line and that equates to their profit margin, not common sense. They don't make a large profits on fabric like they do on electronics, so obviously, they want to take the fabric away and devote the valuble space to high profit items.
I'm not agreeing with them by any means. I think that Wal-Mart should instead show some good will and keep their fabric departments. This would certainly help keep their loyal customers who shop their stores and purchase fabric along with their other merchandise, such as groceries and other goods.
I did not mean to step on any toes here, but in my experience (and that includes uber-smart daughter and her hubby), some people who are highly book-intelligent do not have much in the way of common sense. The two skills are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I don't mean to lump all book-learners together because there are good and bad in every bunch. But the vast majority of people fresh out of college have never been in a work environment like what they "trained" for, and so do not have any practical experience to fall back on, just what the books told them to do/expect.

I agree that Wal-Mart likely makes more $$ on electronics than on fabric. But in many locations, they have moved in only to see local "mom & pop" stores shut down because they just could not compete. Then W-M stops carrying a product line (i.e., fabric/notions), and there is no place local or even remotely nearby for customers to shop at.

It's a vicious cycle that needs to stop. Where I live, there is 1 in our county, but 2 others have recently been defeated by the people who live in the communities where the W-M was intending to build. It was not because of what the store carries so much as the fact that it would have been built (in both cases) less than 10 miles or so from what already exists. There is such a thing as too much market saturation.

Again, I don't want anyone to feel I stepped on their toes or feelings here. Wal-Mart is a very touchy subject in this part of Michigan and I am conscious of the fact that there are those who love it and those who do not. Myself, I prefer not to shop there, but for other reasons which are my own. Perhaps we just need to agree that we disagree on this point.

Odessa
Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 AM

Heard through the "grape vine" that our local WM was closing out their fabrics. So on Sat. a few from our quilt group stopped by WM after our meeting. Turns out it's true and do you know how the gal who runs the department found out? When she placed an order for more fabrics last week the order got kicked back to her. "Oh, by the way, we're eliminating your department." Nice,eh? What a way to find out. All fabric is 25% off. No price drop on notions though.

Typical for Wally World.