Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doing a craft fair! >

Doing a craft fair!

Doing a craft fair!

Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Here's a thought about an item that might sell for you: baby bonnets. There are always a lot of parents that forget to bring a bonnet for their little one... and so they'll buy one out of need. For boys, you can probably find a pattern for a little hat that looks like a train engineer's cap. Girl bonnet patterns are easy to find.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Here's a thought about an item that might sell for you: baby bonnets. There are always a lot of parents that forget to bring a bonnet for their little one... and so they'll buy one out of need. For boys, you can probably find a pattern for a little hat that looks like a train engineer's cap. Girl bonnet patterns are easy to find.
That is a GREAT idea!!!! I think I'll actually do that! Thanks!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:23 PM

What part of the country are you in? Make something that fits the area. I do a show on the water, so I lean toward nautical, boats. I found prices between 10.00 and 25.00 sell the best.

I just signed up for one May 15th, witch city, guess I better go look for witch patterns :)
I too cover my table with cloth to the ground. Years ago I found white demask tables cloths for $5.00! Now these are old, one has a stain I make sure is covered, another a small hole again I have it covered.

Good luck! Oh bring extra tags in case you want/need to change a price.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 PM

I went to a craft fair last summer and the reversable quilted aprons were selling like crazy. They were priced at $25. I also saw a lot of people buying an over the shoulder, sling like carrier for water bottles. I saw them made from fabric and crocheted with cotton yarn. Try to have a partner with you --- for when you need a break for lunch or the restroom, and to help with setting up and carrying everything. Good luck and have fun! :D
Old 03-16-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
What part of the country are you in? Make something that fits the area. I do a show on the water, so I lean toward nautical, boats. I found prices between 10.00 and 25.00 sell the best.

I just signed up for one May 15th, witch city, guess I better go look for witch patterns :)
I too cover my table with cloth to the ground. Years ago I found white demask tables cloths for $5.00! Now these are old, one has a stain I make sure is covered, another a small hole again I have it covered.

Good luck! Oh bring extra tags in case you want/need to change a price.
We live in Nashville TN. The festival is in Smithville, so very country themed to it. All of these suggestions are awesome! Thanks so much guys!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM
dsj

Hi, I am from the Boro. The Fiddlers Jamboree!! That is a great bluegrass festival. Let me know what booth you will be at I will stop by and say hi. You will have a blast there. You need to come to Uncle Dave Macon Days in the Boro in July. I demonstrate there in April and October. If you are looking for more ideas you should set up there for there spring opening in April. Contact Cannonsburg Village through the Parks and Recreation Dept. I think it is pretty reasonable to set up very minimal fee. It might help you figure out what you want to sell.

I demonstrate basketry, quilting, bedrugs, and tatting there also at Ellington Agricultural Center on Edmonson Pike in Nashville, they are always looking for craftsmen for their events. If you are interested contact the museum and ask for Ann Dale she will help you. Good luck to you.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM

Hi,
I agree with the rest - keep your money on you, cover the table all the way to the ground, keep extras under the table, etc. What I haven't seen in the responses:

1. besides a table, are you going to have any other displays? My hubby and I created a wooden step ladder - but instead of steps, we slid boards in between the 'rungs', and then we had additional display space.

2. Have a tent! You will need heavy weights to keep it from blowing off. You will need a way to raise and lower the side walls to block a stiff wind, or to get a little breeze to cool off.

3. Be prepared for rain. So many people aren't prepared for that.

4. You can have a stack of something if each piece in that stack is the same thing but colors are different. Otherwise, each item needs to be displayed separately, with prices marked plainly. You can put a bunch of $10 items together and make a sign that says everything in this bin is $10, but otherwise, they need price tags.

5. You will be amazed at how fragile wood is. We do paper towel holders, napkin holders, quilt racks, wooden intarsia, all wooden. My stand was set up, everything was ok, then somebody was goofing around in the next tent, and they fell against the tent wall. My shelves were 12 inches away from the tent wall, but everything fell. all of it broke.

6. Be very watchful for thieves. I have talked to vendors who have watched someone pick up a pair of mittens, put them in their pocket and leave. before the vendor could get around the table, the person and the mittens were gone.

last one, I promise
7. If it is at all possible, have a second person in the booth with you. They can take payment while you answer questions from other shoppers, they can bag merchandise, they can watch a couple of shoppers to see that they stay honest while you are busy with someone else.

Hope this helps,
casa2manana
aka Vicky :D
Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 AM

Yes, all of the above of what CasaManana said.
Make sure you watch, watch, watch your wares. Even those cute little blue haired ladies have sticky fingers. Ask me how I know? Beware of those that come and talk to you and have someone else with them. They try to distract you as their friend/accomplice will pocket small items. Ask me how I know? Make sure if you have things behind you, NO ONE but YOU can access them them. Those items can grow legs and walk. Ask me how I know? lol

When you count out change to someone. Take ONLY the amount of money from your pouch for change. Have the person that is paying hold their money until you get the correct change out. Then, transfer the money between hands. Don't put THEIR money in your pouch until the transaction is over. It's a HUGE scam that I have had people tell me about that happens. The person/buyer will tell you they gave you a $20, when in fact they gave you a $10. Since you already put the money in your pouch, there's really no way to prove what was given.
Just things to watch for. It doesn't mean that it WILL happen, but always better to be safe than sorry.

But, most of all....have fun. It's a learning experience for everyone!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 AM

I agree with everything said. I think the most important thing is to not overprice!
Be prepared to lower your prices if you find things aren't selling. And I always have something inexpensive (under $5) for kids. That way they'll stop nagging Mom!

Don't expect to sell out of everything. It never happens. That's just the way it is.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:10 AM

coasters you can never have enough of them.