Quilt Challenge!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Connie Hadba
Raptureready,
Where did you get the pattern for your beautiful quilt? Is it available online? I have no quilt shops in Lebanon but would love to get this pattern.

I love the way you have organized the colors for this quilt. You are a true artist.

Connie
Another lady just pm'd me and said that the Sunset pattern is out of stock at Clothilde. You're welcome to print off a picture of my quilt and use it as a guide. I'm not the least bit selfish when it comes to things like that and feel honored that you and so many others like it well enough to ask for the directions.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:41 PM

I'm in too. I was so glad to see everyone's still going strong. I was not so sure when I saw the starting date.

Do we just post our quilts here when we finish with them?
Old 03-20-2010, 11:22 AM

Rec'd an email from the FabShopHop site and they have a free pattern on there to use your scraps. The pattern is called "Tie One on for the Troops" and it's in honor of National Quilting Day. They suggest giving it to a VA hospital or even a friend/family member who has someone in the service.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by 3699quilter
Rec'd an email from the FabShopHop site and they have a free pattern on there to use your scraps. The pattern is called "Tie One on for the Troops" and it's in honor of National Quilting Day. They suggest giving it to a VA hospital or even a friend/family member who has someone in the service.
I couldn't find it, can you put the website on here and tell us where to locate it on the site?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:05 AM

The pattern is in nqaquiting.org site.
I had a email link through fabshophop.com

Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:30 PM

Mishnjim
If you haven't seen enough string quilts already through this thread I posted pictures of a few scrappy strip string quilts that I've donated to Project Linus.
Type Linus quilts in search. Check out Ellie 13/367; 6/323; 9/235; Linus quilts #3 & #4 for a few examples.
All were random width scrappy strips sewn together then trimmed into large squares. Some of these squares were sewn together for a top. Others were paired with another strip pieced or solid focus fabric square, a line drawn from corner to corner on the top block then sewn 1/4 to a 1/2in. to either side of the drawn line, cut apart on the drawn line to form other blocks.
Depending on which sewing process and fabrics you use, the end result is different each time. Best of all they are super easy, quick to sew and you can make them any size you want.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:51 PM

Ellie,
Those are awesome and I found the one that you gave instructions on. I'm mad that I just threw some scraps away when I knew I really shouldn't have but did. I could have used them for trying to do the String Quilt. Maybe I'll try and do this on my retreat too. Boy...I sure do keep adding stuff to take with me, I hope I can stay up the whole week to get all of this stuff done....LOL
Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 AM

Great idea! Our Guild is having a "what is old is new again," challenge. We are making quilts, ect from old clothes, scraps, ect, and seeing the results with "show and tell."
I made a Log Cabin Top and a strip-piece top from scraps, and got rid of a lot of scraps. I could make 2 more , I am guessing from scraps. (I think they breed in those drawers!)
It is fun to be thrifty, and people are amazed at quilts from used clothing. Our Challenge is to take a picture of something we can use in the challenge, then make something from the old piece. I have my "old" picked out, but not made yet!
Marta
Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 AM

For donations, there are many non-profits or community agencies that have periodic fund-raising auctions and hand made quilts of all styles always bring top dollar...so you can use your scraps to bring in more money than you spent on the fabric in the first place.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:20 PM

yes , and here in Oklahoma all of our Walmarts have quit selling material batting and sewing stuff. I would get my out of season material for a dollar a yard. I'm on a fixed income and can't afford 3 and four to 8.00 dollars a yard. I don't know where to get it.