Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doing a craft fair! >

Doing a craft fair!

Doing a craft fair!

Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 AM

Mrsj82, Just a few ideas: BBQ aprons, picnic sets (napkins and tablecloths), hot pad holders,medium sized quilts for
people to take to the fireworks, no-sew flannel blankets,
something quick to make. I saw a pattern for a kids travel
tote bag that had individual slots for crayons and then the coloring book would be put in the bag,or substitute drawing pencils and sketch books for older teens. Another idea is
short sets or little sundresses that are simple.
The fair sounds like alot of fun. Good luck. Let us know how it was. Eiltcoq.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:21 AM

Everyone has great suggestions.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 AM

The best thing you can do is have an object to get attention of people walking by. It might not be for sale but it gets people into you area. These ladies have given some very good info. Good Luck.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 AM

Check this out: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-30656-1.htm#881602
Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 AM

Dear Mrsj82
My DH & I have done craft shows for over 20 years now. Each show is different as to what sales or not. But some suggestions - be sure to display your items in different heights. I make stuffed animals from old clothing and coats along with sewn items (aprons, bibs, quilts, etc..) My husband makes Marshmallow Shooters. We display on tables with tableclothes going to ground in order to cover our overstock we keep underneath in see thru tubs. Our quilted items and shooters are on metal grids which allows us a variety of displaying options.
We found the biggest boost to our sales was to be friendly and sincere to everyone we come in contact with. Greet everyone that comes by your booth with a big smile and be sure to have something to work on while you are there. Customers love to see what you are doing and that you are actually the artist making the items.
Surprisingly, some of our best customers are the other vendors and many have now become dear close friends to us.
Go with the intentions of having a really good time and you will.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:15 AM

Wow all of you have great Ideas and have helped me a lot for I am new to selling also.

Cookie
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 AM

I would make as many items in the time available leading up to the craft show. Try to have a wide variety of items in all price ranges for sale. Put one or two of each pattern or style on your display table even if you have multiples of that same item. This could possibly decrease the amount of merchandise that walks off. You could also take pictures of your wares and put them in a binder to show potential customers all the styles and colors you have available. The binder could also be used to keep track of the inventory you have left if you mark it off as you sell them. Make your items stand out from what is available in the stores. Maybe meander instead of doing all grid quilting. Even if you have items left over after the sale its okay because Tennessee seems to have an abundance of festivals and craft fairs. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:48 AM

Bring an extra cooler of water and sell for .75 per 8oz bottle.

I have done a craft fair here for 2 years in a row and did very little. Make some inexpensive kids jewelry.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I have to add to make a small flyer up with your name and phone number (or e mail) on it and put one into each bag of items that you sell. You will get repeat business sometimes from that. Or maybe commissioned work.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by mrsj82
So here's a list of what I've preliminarilly decided to make and charge. Take a look and tell me what you think.

potholders-----$5
table runners-----$35
doll quilts-----$20
baby quilts------$45
twin size-------$100
totes--------$25
quilt kits (Pre-cut, illustrated quilt pattern 40''X49'') $35
bookmarks------$3

I may be adding/removing thing, but for now this list plays to my strengths let me know what you think
Do you actually make a profit selling at these prices? If so, I'd like your secret! I spent well over $50 just for the fabric for a baby quilt. (Admittedly, I have some leftover...perhaps that's part of the problem.)

I like the quilt kit idea...do you include just the precut fabrics for the quilt top, or also the backing? I assume not the batting.