Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
does anyone do this anymore? >

does anyone do this anymore?

does anyone do this anymore?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 AM

That's great to hear Grocifer. I took many of Pamela's classes before she moved a few years ago. She started the website and pattern line after she moved. She is a fabulous teacher and fit is her expertise, though she is very creative when it comes to ideas for classes. I'm going to send her a link to this thread, she will be thrilled to hear that someone loves her pattern. :D
Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 AM

I learned to sew when I was 12 years old back in the days when that was the norm. I have sewn clothes for myself, my husband, and 3 kids. I even made jeans for the kids when they were little. Now with everyone grown and having their own kids, I can sew for them. It isn't hard, about.com has a list of free patterns you can try if you don't want to invest money into it yet. Get a really good book on sewing-check the library or go online for help. the good thing about sewing is that you don't look like everyone else. You can sew things in the fabric you like and know that when you wash it, it won't come apart!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by middysmom
does anyone make their own clothes anymore i use to but haven't done it in a long time i was just wondering if anyone does this anymore and could give me some tips thanks dorothy
I still make clothes for my girls, grandkids, dad, and man. I make everything from prom gowns to western shirts to jammie pants. If I can help with anything just pm me.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM

isnt that funny. i dont mind zippers but i refuse to do button holes. i go out of my way to avoid them at all cost
Old 03-18-2010, 11:24 AM

I sew so that I do not have to look like everyone else.

I also buy at thrify stores and remake (less expensive than some cloth shops).
Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

This is a on line address to a sewing site where the women make clothing all the time. They review the sewing patterns and tell the skinny about them to help you decide if you want to make it of not. Now you have to keep in mind that not everyone is the same size or measurements.
I sew many of my niece's clothing and occationally for myself. I am making a spring four piece outfit as a challenge now in a purple and teal theme. My home sewn clothing took a huge leap once I bought a dress form to alter my patterns first and do any fitting or changes to the pattern first. It is like quilting the best tools are a wonderful thing.

Check it out here ...
www.sewingpatternreview.com
Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 AM

This is for the person wondering if anyone would want her fabrics (for office clothing)
OH YES!!! I am sure someone would be interested in the fabrics you have!! I would be IF I had $, but I am looking for a job right now - got laid off :>(
But, seriously - figure out if you wish to sell some of that fabric (take photos and post them) or give it away.
I have made my own clothes since I was in high school too. I made a lot of gifts for the nieces and nephews, my sons, suits for my husband, flower girl dresses, etc.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 AM

I don't sew as many clothes as I used to; i get frustrated with the styles but I do make lots from my grandkids. Unfortunately I have three grandsons and only one grandaughter. The big pattern makers seem to think boys don't need clothes! I really don't like the styles in the stores these days and since I have sewn for almost 40 years I never gotten past the mind set of how much clothes cost at retail compared to what you can make them for (if that makes any sense). Everyday gad-about clothes made overseas are cheap but when it comes to the nice, fancy clothes, I'd prefer to make my own.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dear One 5
Yes, my body keeps shifting south. ( hummm)
Do you think this is maybe an "occupational" hazard from sitting at our sewing machines and computers? Oh well, what a small trade off for such fun.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by middysmom
does anyone make their own clothes anymore i use to but haven't done it in a long time i was just wondering if anyone does this anymore and could give me some tips thanks dorothy
I have since high school (that was a LONG time ago LOL). I still do when I see something I really like and the price is so outrageous - then it is cheaper for me to make it. There are a lot of nice sites for fabric at reasonable $, and I wait for JoAnn Fabrics to put their patterns on sale for $1.99 each. Granted they limit the # of patterns you can purchase - but just go back later to buy more as needed!
I also, do as someone else suggested - I find a lot at thirft stores, flea markets - then I redesign them as I wish, if it does not turn out right, I am not out a lot of $.
And, replaceing zippers is my forte!! My I learned to do that while my sons were young - they seemed to need them replaced a lot, and for the price of a zipper compared to new jeans - the zipper replacement won out!! LOL !