Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
does anyone do this anymore? >

does anyone do this anymore?

does anyone do this anymore?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
I used to make a lot of my own clothes -- "fashion" fabric was much less expensive then :lol: :lol: And now I have several totes full of fabric that would be excellent for "office wear" that I have no more use for....do you think anyone would be interested in purchasing some of it???
Put it up in the sale thread sewjoyce ... You never know. I just bought a five yard piece of brocade off the pattern review site this week.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
That's great to hear Grocifer. I took many of Pamela's classes before she moved a few years ago. She started the website and pattern line after she moved. She is a fabulous teacher and fit is her expertise, though she is very creative when it comes to ideas for classes. I'm going to send her a link to this thread, she will be thrilled to hear that someone loves her pattern. :D
I would like the address for her website and the pattern line. I love T-shirts and would like to try that restyle for them.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Yankee
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
That's great to hear Grocifer. I took many of Pamela's classes before she moved a few years ago. She started the website and pattern line after she moved. She is a fabulous teacher and fit is her expertise, though she is very creative when it comes to ideas for classes. I'm going to send her a link to this thread, she will be thrilled to hear that someone loves her pattern. :D
I would like the address for her website and the pattern line. I love T-shirts and would like to try that restyle for them.
This is for the home page of her website: http://www.pamelaspatterns.com/default.aspx?http=404

This is for the t-shirt pattern: http://www.pamelaspatterns.com/Store...3c018137F0cB47 She sells a DVD that you can get also.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I make my own clothes because the stores just don't carry modest clothing. I wear a lot of jumpers which I make and just buy shirts--if I can find some that don't show a bunch of cleavage and have sleeves in them. My soon to be 11 yr old daughter is convinced that her clothes are "designer originals" because I don't use patterns. She loves the clothes I make for her although I also buy a lot of her clothes. I'm not much for shopping for clothes when there's so much fabric out there to buy. :lol:
Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 PM

how in heavens name do you make clothes without a pattern ? wish i could ! any tips ?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 PM

I still sew most of my own clothes. I find that they fit better than those in the store. My granddaughter is always asking me to make her some new clothes.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Howard
how in heavens name do you make clothes without a pattern ? wish i could ! any tips ?
There are books on how to do this. Your library probably has several.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter2B
Originally Posted by Dear One 5
Yes, my body keeps shifting south. ( hummm)
Do you think this is maybe an "occupational" hazard from sitting at our sewing machines and computers? Oh well, what a small trade off for such fun.
Probably, but at my age "who cares". The satisfaction of a well fitting and well made garment lasts a long time.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:01 PM

I have made all the clothes for my family (we have 10 children). Although I haven't done any in the last couple of months, I designed and made my daughter's wedding gown and another daughter's afterbaby wardrobe. I make all of my son's shirts because he is very tall. I also make all of my husband's clothes. I don't make jeans because they are hard on sewing machines. Tee shirts, boxers and pj pants are always on order from my kids.

Long ago it was alot cheaper to make the family's clothing. Now, there isn't a cost savings, but the quality and fit more than make up for it. And my kids think it is fun to have homemade clothing. Go figure.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:01 PM

I may get someone to make that dress for me that I posted a few pages ago... it would be better... that way it comes out right... but I'm to lose at least twenty pounds or more before I do that...