Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
My name is Bronny - and I don't quilt!!! >

My name is Bronny - and I don't quilt!!!

My name is Bronny - and I don't quilt!!!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 PM

Yes that is the way I introduce myself - guarranteed to endear myself with quilters... but I am a cross stitcher who has been lured, almost against her will, to collecting fabric and quilting supplies.
I have completed one quilt - last april - an applique chicken quilt AND entered it into a show (ha! like a first-time quilt had a chance!). I have a sampler patchwork quilt that I started in 1985 that is still waiting to be pieced together. I think I still have the batting for that one too, as well as the backing fabric. I have another quilt top that I pieced together from thermal lined fabric some 10 years ago, waiting to be finished. I have an 'arabian nights' quilt in my head that won't go away. I have the pattern and the material ready for a Christmas quilt, but I'm too scared to cut into the fabric.
By easter this year, I need to have a wall hanging finished to present to my Dad for his 80'th birthday. I bought the panel today, and need to spend some time working out the border that I want to put with it - it's all in my head.
But I state - I am not a quilter! I am a cross stitcher who dabbles with fabric art.
My name is Bronny, I live with hubby of 23 years and two sons, all of whom are not quite understanding of this fabric and floss obsession, but are willing to add to it if it means a peaceful life for them. I live in the outer southeastern suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. I also collect pink depression glass and love to haunt thrift and antique shops.
I'd like to meet people of similar dispositions for a touch of female company (living in an all male household can get to you after awhile!)
I hope I get a chance to get to know you all better.
bronny
matriarch in waiting
pakenham
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 PM

I too come to quilting via cross-stitch (& knitting & crocheting & costuming & & &) plus I can certainly sympathize with the male household bit...I have only one daughter, who has 5 older brothers!

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Welcome from Oregon!! You should be able to get lots of ideas here for your projects. There are usually a few of us quilters here who have more than one UFO in their keeping. But who's keeping track...we'll get to it one of these days...right??? LOL
Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 PM

welcome from Mo.. enjoy
Old 03-19-2010, 10:48 PM

Hello and welcome from Denver, CO, USA
Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Power Poster

Hello from Perth....bronnyb..just give in..you are a quilter in denial/disguise! Would love to see the chicken quilt and the arabian nights idea sounds interesting. Glad you decided to join us, it's a great board with lots of inspiring people.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Google Goddess

Welcome, waving from Indiana, USA
Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 AM

Hi Bronny and welcome. It does sound as if you are infected a bit by quilting though! I came to it after cross-stitching,crochet and knitting etc. Now I only have time to dabble on the edge of those, because I'm always making quilts.
Would love to see your chicken quilt, lots of chicken fans on here....
Old 03-20-2010, 03:32 AM

I too am a cross stitcher first and foremost. For years now, I've been collecting fat quarters, not to actually use, you see, but because they are so pretty. I've no intention of cutting them up. However, in September last year, I saw a poster in a shop advertising beginner's quilting classes. I signed up and am hooked. The class has now finished, but I have a quilt. Okay, it's not finished because by the time we got the quilt blocks together, work picked up and I find my time diminished. So, I'm thankful the class was when it was and not starting now. I'll have to post a picture here because I'm quite proud.

I have a male household too and it is so great to come here and share with like-minded people.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:00 AM

Hello Bronny and welcome from Ohio. I too have only sons, 21 and 25. DH and I are empty nesters. Glad you joined us.