Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Washed new quilt and am disappointed >

Washed new quilt and am disappointed

Washed new quilt and am disappointed

Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 PM

I don't know, I've never used starch in my entire life. I bought some recently, having read so much about it, but not sure what the effects are exactly or if it needs to be washed out?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 PM

I think Prism has given some good advice. If you do not want to rip the quilting out (frog it), then do as Patrice suggested and block it. Then quilt it some more. I have had to frog an entire Qu sz that was pretty heavily long-armed before. Not fun but not that bad while watching a movie. This quilt doesn't look that bad. IMHO I think I would block it and maybe do some more quilting in it and call it a day.

FYI: If you ever try Bamboo, it does shrink more than Wool.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stummel
I don't know, I've never used starch in my entire life. I bought some recently, having read so much about it, but not sure what the effects are exactly or if it needs to be washed out?
Starch stabilizes the fabric so it doesn't distort while you are machine quilting. It prevents unwanted tucks and puckers. I don't like machine quilting without it because it prevents so many problems.

It should be washed out afterwards, but this can be a simple rinsing. At that point you would probably want to re-block the quilt without starch for gift-giving.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM

I agree with Linda M. I would do more quilting on it. I have always used cotton or poly batting's and have never had a problem. I always throw my cotton batting in the dryer to remove the wrinkles before using it and I always prewash my fabric and that's how I get a nice old look to my quilts after I wash them but I never prewash the batting. I don't think I'm brave enough to use wool because you never know who's going to be allergic to it.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:07 AM

I use Warm and Natural for all my quilts. I cut the batting and then wash it in the washing machine and dryer it in the dryer so it does not sink in the quilt or helps it from looking used. I wash all my fabric also. So when I am finished a quilt all parts have been washed first.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:27 AM

I don't usually prewash my fabric or batting. I use all cotton batting so when it's done & I wash it everything shrinks the same. So far I haven't had any problems.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I only use polyester and I don't have the problem of shrinking, maybe closer quilting would help with the problem once you get it straightened out, if you do.

What a terrible thing to have happen.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 AM

I am working my way through a bolt of warm and natural. I never pre wash fabric or batting (but i do use 2 to 4 dye catchers). I like the shrinkage I get but I am quilting it pretty tightly on my pfaff hobby grand quilter. I have to remind my self to make the top bigger so when I do get shrinkage, it will still fit the bed. the old fashioned crinkle makes my day, but the quilt is still straight and flat.
The rewetting and blocking idea sounds good, but i would not fret too much. only you will know that the quilt is a little wonky. the receiver will love it is warm and cuddly.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

i use wool batting often and love it...it is important to really stablize the edges of your quilt and quilt fairly heavily...it is still going to shrink and if making a quilt for a baby/child drycleaning is out of the question, if the quilt is for a child it is going to be washed and dried alot...with the wool batting it is going to shrink alittle each wash for awhile (wool is nice to work with but for kids dream poly is a much better choice) i don't really think it detracts from the charm or usability of the quilt kids love them because they are fluffy and soft, they don't care if it is out of square or 'wrinkly' which really is what happens to most quilts unless they are wallhangings and not washed. don't be so hard on yourself, the quilt is cute and will be loved even if you don't like it, the recipient is not going to know it's not supposed to be that way.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 AM

i have heard of people washing their batting , i hav enever done tho. so much work , i know you are disappointed , i am for you :(