Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You know the stash might be too large when... >

You know the stash might be too large when...

You know the stash might be too large when...

Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 PM

You all crack me up about your fabric addition. Golly, we quilters are quite a bunch and I love it knowing I'm not alone. My home is also small,2 bedrms- mbedrm/bath, second br is sewing romm w/shelves in closet for fabric (loaded). Retired, collected fabric 3/4 yrs while we camper traveled. Quilt shops are so fun. Now I make quilts for gkids (hs grad for college). I enjoy making whatever fabric I have work. Havent bought any fabric since except maybe some muslin. Love being in my sewing room working because its the only place in the world I have complete control.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM

I am looking for a quilt pattern called "Easy Pieces" can anyone help?
Thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by hereca622
Originally Posted by mbunny
You find pieces, clearly cut to create a particular block, but don't recall every purchasing or seeing the fabric, much less what block pattern you intended to make.
Maybe someone gave them to you. Seriously, our taste in fabrics change over the years and the quality of fabric has really improved over ten years ago. When I moved, I cleaned out fabric that was poor quality and I would not put in a quilt today. I do shop at Hancocks, JoAnns & Walmart, but even their fabrics have improved over time. Like a lot of you have said, buy the best quality that you can afford. Today, I can shop at several LQS near my home. Our family situations change, our financial situations change and our taste in fabric changes.
I do not feel obligated to keep and use every piece of fabric that I have purchased in the last 20 years. I quilt because it makes me happy, not to be tortured.
I say all of this to say, if you don't want it or like it, get rid of it. No Guilt!!! Donate to charity, guilds, schools or quilters that are having financial difficulties at this time. Donations are tax deductible and Paying It Forward makes you feel good.
I heartily second this!! Over the years I've given lots of fabric to the guild because I got tired of looking at it, or whatever. NO GUILT! There are little old ladies in that Guild that can barely feed themselves...................that sounds like my mom telling me to eat my cauliflower cause there a little kids in China going hungry!
Make it a Feel-Good Day!

YTQ
Old 03-25-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Originally Posted by Ninnie
When you find a pretty material you "just can't live without" , only to get home and find you already had 3 yards of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is my trick too!! I guess it means i REALLY liked it!
YTQ
I've done this too. I usually just set it in a "sisters" basket and give it to them in exchange for the basket full that they bring to me.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:13 PM

These are some great ideas for storage. I was thinking I was running out of space, but I didn't think about putting low bins under my bed!! Eiltcoq
Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM

It's those pesky fabric elves that planted those in your stash just to make you think you are going crazy. HEHEHEHEHEHE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-25-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by watterstide
When you find a pretty material you "just can't live without" , only to get home and find you already had 3 yards of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
i do that with rulers..i really need to quit buying gadgets that i probably already have!
If you're ever at a garage sale and find one of those old metal "catepillars" that we used to put our record albums in get it. They make great storage racks for all your rulers (except the little ones) and keeps them where you can see what you have.
Oh!! I like the "catepillar" idea!! I have been wondering where I could store those rulers so I could figure out which one to use.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnique
Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by watterstide
i do that with rulers..i really need to quit buying gadgets that i probably already have!
If you're ever at a garage sale and find one of those old metal "catepillars" that we used to put our record albums in get it. They make great storage racks for all your rulers (except the little ones) and keeps them where you can see what you have.
Oh!! I like the "catepillar" idea!! I have been wondering where I could store those rulers so I could figure out which one to use.
You can also use those slanted envelope or file folder holders from the office supply stores. I just prefer the catepiller because I can see all of them.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Originally Posted by hereca622
Originally Posted by mbunny
You find pieces, clearly cut to create a particular block, but don't recall every purchasing or seeing the fabric, much less what block pattern you intended to make.
Maybe someone gave them to you. Seriously, our taste in fabrics change over the years and the quality of fabric has really improved over ten years ago. When I moved, I cleaned out fabric that was poor quality and I would not put in a quilt today. I do shop at Hancocks, JoAnns & Walmart, but even their fabrics have improved over time. Like a lot of you have said, buy the best quality that you can afford. Today, I can shop at several LQS near my home. Our family situations change, our financial situations change and our taste in fabric changes.
I do not feel obligated to keep and use every piece of fabric that I have purchased in the last 20 years. I quilt because it makes me happy, not to be tortured.
I say all of this to say, if you don't want it or like it, get rid of it. No Guilt!!! Donate to charity, guilds, schools or quilters that are having financial difficulties at this time. Donations are tax deductible and Paying It Forward makes you feel good.
I heartily second this!! Over the years I've given lots of fabric to the guild because I got tired of looking at it, or whatever. NO GUILT! There are little old ladies in that Guild that can barely feed themselves...................that sounds like my mom telling me to eat my cauliflower cause there a little kids in China going hungry!
Make it a Feel-Good Day!

YTQ
It's good to know that other mothers did this too. With mine it was salmon patties. I hated her salmon patties and refused to eat them. Once, and only once I made the mistake of laying some change on the table and saying, "Mail mine to them." I thought it was pretty funny and after a day or two when the swelling went down I could actually laugh about it. LOL Mom was a wonderful person but she just didn't take well to back talk or a sassy mouth.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

When I purchase a piece of fabric only to find I already have some at home I just say,"Well I know that I still like it really,really alot." I tell hubby that what I had must have been in the stash I inherited from my mom. :roll: