Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid? >

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

What food(s) got you in trouble as a kid?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:17 PM

I liked most everything as a kid. Both my parents were fabulous cooks. The only thing I wouldn't eat was tongue. YUCK! Just the sight of it turned my stomach.
Oh, and one day, my mother made kolrabi because one of her friends loved it. OMG--YUCK--O!! The whole house stunk. She never made that again!
And now, I eat almost everything, but I do like vegetables (all kinds) best.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:11 PM

Never got in trouble with food. I was the kid that got invited to everyone elses house because I ate everything.
I was the example child. My best friend, Frosty (yes, that is her real name) hated it when I was invited to dinner because she knew they would be having liver and onions. I serioulsy can't think of one thing that I didn't like to eat growing up. Actually, I would get in trouble if I DID eat things. When we had fried chicken, my sister and I were never allowed to take the fried chicken livers until my dad had taken his. LOL!

Sometimes I wish there were things I didnt like... it might keep me from eating so much...
Old 03-27-2010, 06:10 PM

I cannot stand the smell or taste of Spam or Sauerkraut. YUK!!!!!! They are both so gross. Other than that, I would eat most anything, I love Liver and all vegetables.
Fruits only a select few. Chocolate just takes better to me. haha. My poor brother was the one who got into trouble for not eating things----the only two vegetables he would eat were corn and peas. He used to pass me his broccoli and brussel sprouts. Now he eats themall.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by retired teacher
PZAZZ, What is blood sausage?
Here is a wik answer...

Black pudding or blood pudding is a type of sausage made by cooking blood or dried blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled. It is also called blood sausage (first attested in 1868, perhaps influenced by German Blutwurst).

Patti
Old 03-27-2010, 06:37 PM

My younger brother had a funny quirk...he would eat peas with hot ham, but not with cold leftovers.

Patti
Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 PM

Hmmm my earliest memories of what food got me in trouble.. was Spinach! I hated it and still do if it is cooked! gag and gag on the stuff !! Now I can eat it raw in a salad..

The trouble I got into was.. not eating it while everyone was at table, it got cold .. was horrid.. sooooo after sitting for an additional half and hour, I would stuff my mouth as much as it would hold and get up, finished and go to the bathroom and spit it in the toilet! welllll, after having left the table after spinach... I got caught spitting it in the toilet! Needless to say, I had to show my mouth was empty before leaving the table after that!

I will not eat spinach cooked or even try it now.. my kids never were served cooked spinach ! lol
Old 03-27-2010, 08:35 PM

Something about peas!!! Many years ago in the 60's I was about 4. there was a standing radiator in the dining room. You know those big metal things. Well I sat in front of it. My sister sat to my left and the kitchen area was also to the left. My mom always said eat you peas! And she knew I didn't like them But while she stood over me I had to. But when she stepped away towards the kitchen I would empty my dish of peas in my right and lean back to the right and shove the peas in the back radiator! Well my mother laughed and laughed one day. I didn't understand until she showed me the pile of dried peas she picked up! I don't remember how long they'd been hiding there but there was a hand full! After that mom never made me eat them again!!
Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Liver, of any kind, be it chicken livers or beef liver can't stand it to this day. But I do cook liver & onions and chicken livers for my husband and two of our daughters. They can finish off a skillet full by themselves. As a child, my dad told me to try it, I even smothered it in ketchup, but could not stand it. I finally just looked at my dad and told him I'd have to take a whuppin cause I just couldn't eat it. He laughed and that was the last time I even had to try it.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:45 AM

[quote=jbud2]
Originally Posted by Marjpf
Liver and onions. The smell even made me gag. My mother also occasionally served tongue. Ick!
She made beef heart one time

We had the above frequently and I do enjoy them...couldn't get my kids to eat liver and onions but the rest was okay...one DD and her cousin would fight over liverwurst so when they were both around at the same time each got their own portion with their names put each package...

Won't touch anything made with canned tuna and think Spam is yuk...
Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 AM

There are a few things, like heart and tongue, that I've never eaten so can't say whether I like them. I just can't drink milk from a glass, tho it's okay in cereal. I do remember in elem school (early 60's) getting little glass bottles of milk for 2 cents and it was cold and yummy! Other than milk, I eat and like anything. Poultry isn't a favorite, especially white meat, but it can be edible! I think it goes back to my childhood where we had mostly beef, pork, fish, and all kinds of veg.

If you want to talk about picky, my DH won't eat rice or noodles, any veg except green beans, casseroles, Oriental food (tho I tell him it's just meat and gravy!), hot cereal, fish or any seafood except tuna, ... he's happy with just meat, potatoes, and bread! My DS won't eat meatloaf, mayo, or tuna and that's ok with me since he'll eat and/or try anything else.