Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block  Swap (Closed) >

Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block Swap (Closed)

Snowman (people)/Snowflake Block Swap (Closed)

Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
I am with the no prewash.. I like the stiffer to work with myself and good fabrics rarely shrink much at all. It sounds also like these are going to be more wall hangings than bed quilts that would require even more washing as people are talking about applique and no rules on fabric and adding on embellishments so why prewash? I think add ons the more the merrier!
OH ELSABRAT, GREAT THINKING....LOVE EMBELLISHMENTS AND BUTTONS ESPECIALLY....ONLY HAVE ABOUT 10,000 OR SO.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:33 PM

I say go either way....I am in a strip swap and we are putting them in a plastic bag before mailing and marking each bag with our name, address, site nickname, "washed" or "not washed" and then mailing it off. Party handling the swap will mail washed to senders who send washed and non-washed to non-washed senders. That way everyone is happy.....ain't life all about being HAPPY!!!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:47 PM

I would be very interested in a snowman swap!!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:54 PM

About washing or not washing your fabric:

5. When an activity includes swapping fabrics, they should be washed, dried and ironed and cut as precisely as your skills allow. Oranizers should not require they be starched or otherwise treated unless it's essential to success in the type of project involved. Those of us who don't normally prewash should make exceptions when joining in group activities. It's a courtesy to others who may have allergies or other health needs requiring smoke and animal free environments/supplies.

This is from the Admin Rules.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:23 AM

I think that is a great way to handle this as I do know a lot of the different colors I have used in other swaps lost a lot of color when washed. Received on that wasn't and I am going to wash it to see before I put in a quilt. It was a huge lesson for me and now I wonder if I ever gave a quilt (hardly washed fabrics before) ever got ruined. I still throw in color catcher when I wash a quilt and only one so far had a problem.
Originally Posted by gramqlts
I say go either way....I am in a strip swap and we are putting them in a plastic bag before mailing and marking each bag with our name, address, site nickname, "washed" or "not washed" and then mailing it off. Party handling the swap will mail washed to senders who send washed and non-washed to non-washed senders. That way everyone is happy.....ain't life all about being HAPPY!!!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 02:25 AM

Forgot to mention I have started on my blocks for the swap and I love them so much will have to make extra for me. I will swap with others if they care for an extra block but please ask as I don't want to get overwhelmed. I love Snowmen and winter scenes.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:05 PM

I also would like to do a set of Snowflakes.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 AM

Still have room for that snowman swap, I have snowmen out all year, they are precious..yes, here we go..
Old 03-31-2010, 05:33 AM
Banned

We have 47 swappers. Lets try and go for 50!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:55 PM

Gosh I have been quilting for over 30 years, never washed fabric, never starched (might have tried it and it works very well on feedsacks as it has a different feeling when working with it). But, I have had a few disasters and I'm not kidding as local quilters can tell you so I started to wash fabrics. I buy 90 percent of my fabric from quilt shops and I couldn't believe the colors that ran. I was in Japan and they said they used chemicals to stabalize the color that they can't use in the states. That was about 15 years ago. I know they say you don't have to wash the fabric but after two big disasters I wash. Matter of what you wish to do. I prefer not washing either.