Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt with 5" Squares >

Quilt with 5" Squares

Quilt with 5" Squares

Old 03-31-2010, 12:49 PM

When I do this lecture, we have a fabric exchange. Everyone brings 48 squares and goes home with 48 plus a few extras.

I will be giving this lecture again in Platteville, WI at the 2010 Sewing and Quilting Expo at UW-Platteville
on June 4.

It is the first year of the Expo at the University and I am really looking forward to having one this close to me.

Barb
Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM

I am going on a bus trip to Shipshewana in May, I'll be loading up on kids prints and lots of 'I spy" friendly fabrics. Thank you, GrammaO
Old 03-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

You will love Shipshewanna ! :thumbup: It is awesome How long will you be there for ?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:58 PM

We will only be there for the day. We go every year. Last year three of us went by car and had a great time. I forget the name but we stayed at a huge hotel next to Yoder's Dept. Store. Fabulous! I could have stayed there for a week but we had a death in the family the day we got there so came home early. The flea market is not for me but the fabric stores are to die for. Can't wait to go to Lolly's, I've been saving all year.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

LOL I agree... was it the hotel with the water park ? i have to stay away at the moment , wish i could go 8-) It is a bad... bad... bad ... place for me and my money
Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
LOL I agree... was it the hotel with the water park ? i have to stay away at the moment , wish i could go 8-) It is a bad... bad... bad ... place for me and my money
It might be called Country Inn and Suites, I don't remember now. It was very clean and the staff was very nice. They had quilts hanging on the wall in the lobby and they were all for sale. It wasn't a water park. I would stay in a tent if I had to just to be there. I start drooling when I think of the stores.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

OOOHHH SO do I ... so is this a whole bus trip ? How long does it take to get here ? Just to Shipshewanna for one day ?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by lucyb
I always thought a charm quilt was a quilt that had no two peices of the same fabric.
I bet almost everyone would agree with you!

Moda fabrics produces batches of fabric that go together as a group and get a name like Autumn or Lucy or Animal On Tour. For every batch they also produce:

a package of 5" squares called Charms
a package of 2.5" by 42" strips called Jelly Rolls
a package of 10" squares called Layer Cakes
a package of 1/5" by42" strips called Honey Buns

There may be another couple of these packages, I forget.

Sometimes a batch of fabric might have less than 40 different colors or patterns or come combination of both and one way or another so Moda often puts in duplicates to make the count come up to the usual number.

Sometimes Moda won't put in the duplicates and the Charm package sells for less than a 40 package would.

As far as I know Moda makes these for all of its batches of fabrics - but that might just be wishful thinking.

This seller has Charms for several batches of Moda fabrics and instead of displaying the package where only the top shows, she/he displays the spread out package (supplied by Moda) so you can see exactly what's in each of the Charm packages she/he offers.

http://www.cpatchq.com/charmpacks.html

Ta Da! Hope this helps, Lucy.

Jois
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM

It takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to get there from here. We are just across the river from Detroit so it is quite a long ride but we talk so much the time just flies.
There is some new law in Canada about how long the driver can be at the wheel so we only go for the day. I wish we could put together an overnight trip. I'd be first in line to sign up. It's ok though. any time in Shipshewana is good time.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Power Poster

Aren't the triangles also called turnovers ? LOL