Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this lame? >

Is this lame?

Is this lame?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:21 PM

Forget the machine. LQS, museums, theatre, etc.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:37 PM

Take your machine, check out the LQS and see if any are near the route your spouse will be running. Go to the area and cheer her on just to let her know your watching some of her event, be at the Beginning and especially at the finish line, when you think she might be runining across it, even if you have to wait awhile to get to see her. Who knows she might want to go check out some of the quilt stores with you, either the day before or the day after, if they are open, if not there is always another time to shop. When you start to call it a day after a good dinner, your spouse may be so tired, she just wants to sleep, I sure would. You could sew some then if you don't disturb her. Anyway I would take my machine just in case I did get to use it. But I would definitely be there to cheer her on, I'll bet she would be there for you.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 AM

I recently took my machine to Vermont. I had lots more time as my guys were skiing. No regrets about packing it and taking it. I was able to finish a couple of block of the month squares and still poked around the shops in town! I do agree with others that you had better be around start finish and where ever to cheer on your partner!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 AM

I never travel without some form of quilting to entertain myself. My husband runs marathons, too, and I have been tempted to bring a machine, but handwork always wins out because I can also work on it in the car. I stockpile bindings and a couple needle turn projects for such occasions.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 AM
BJN

Consider going to Nashville, Indiana. Bloomington isn't that far away. There are a lot of guaint shops and much to see.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:03 AM

Let me expand on the fact that I always bring some form of quilting with me no matter what is going on. My husband and I have a deal whenever we travel, even to races. I go to the start if the race is somewhat circular, but otherwise I just go to the finish. (I have a real tendency to get sunburnt even early in the Spring. ) I cheer him as he leaves the motel, get updates on my cell phone while I work on some quilting project, and know what his time usually is, so I am always at the finish line at least 30 min. ahead of time (with or without some needle turn.
If he knew I was trying to focus completely on the run, he would spend too much energy just thinking about how to rush so he would not be using up my time (His words). We make it a full weekend checking out the local activities surrounding the race, wandering the area together looking for woodworking, antique and quilt shops, eating pasta the night before the race, and then relaxing at the pool, etc after the race.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:54 AM

No, I think that's a great idea! I plan on doing the Rock nRoll in Vegas in December; I don't know what my sweet husband will do for the 5 hours it'll take me... his hobby is classic cars.... Maybe he can spend the morning at the Imperial Palace car collection. Has anyone been to that display lately? LAst time I was there was in the late 90's, I'm not sure if it's still there.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:36 AM

I take handwork or embroidery with me everywhere I go. I don't always get to do any, but it's always there if I need something to do. I can do it during long meetings and in the car, too.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:33 AM

A new place, new things to see? NEW QUILT SHOPS??? You bet I'm shopping...pick up a nice souvenir to commemorate her run, then shop for fabric. I like to let new places inspire me, so I take a sketch book, and use the sketches to create new fabric art ideas. Since its spring, new colors will be popping out... make notes of the colors and the textures. Snap lots of pictures! Feed your creativity! Just a thought!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:49 AM

if you have some extra money to spend go for the LQS's, I love to explore the QS's but it always turns out to be expensive because it's hard to resist fabric ( I could live in a QS ) maybe it turns out to be cheaper to take your machine with you
Esther