Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Just Bought a Featherwieght!! >

I Just Bought a Featherwieght!!

I Just Bought a Featherwieght!!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Fortunately these are easy machines to service and repair. I highly recommend getting a copy (repro) of the original service manual if your machine doesn't come with one.
You will love your machine...great also when traveling. Have fun![/quote]

Have any of you seen the ad in the quilt magazines for refurbishing? Showed such colorful ones--red and green. Mine is traditional black. LOL
Old 04-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by franie
Fortunately these are easy machines to service and repair. I highly recommend getting a copy (repro) of the original service manual if your machine doesn't come with one.
You will love your machine...great also when traveling. Have fun!
Have any of you seen the ad in the quilt magazines for refurbishing? Showed such colorful ones--red and green. Mine is traditional black. LOL[/quote]

I'm kind of a purist....not sure I would want a FW that was some exotic color. Maybe if it was a rescue of a really poor condition machine, but even then I'd rather see it restored back to the original.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 AM

My Featherweight is an Anniversary edition, which I got from my Mom. She got it new back in the late 1940's. Still works like a charm. Regarding the "red" machines...this is a refurbished machine. Singer never made a red one according to Singer. You can read about read machines in the Featherweight 221 book...can't think of the author off hand, but the myth of the red machine appears in edition 2. The green was made, but it is a very light green, almost a mint color. You can always call Singer's toll free # and give them the serial number of the machine. They will be able to tell you it's "birth" date (mfg. date), color when manufactured, etc.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 AM

You are very lucky indeed to have scored a FW for $25! Lucky you! Enjoy it!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

Okay before we get into a cat fight over the machine I am in the middle of working a deal on a Singer 12 with MOP. This is one of my all time VERY high on the wish list of machines to own.

I am hoping to work a deal out with the lady to where all I have to come off of is a few hundred dollars and that includes the shipping. If it falls through then I might hang onto it for a bit just to say I own one, but if I do sell it I will post it here first!!

Billy
Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 AM

I agree that it would be a shame (dare I say criminal?) to take a perfectly good, functional FW with a few nicks and scratches and refurbish it to another color. However, if it is completely trashed (cosmetically) I see no harm in repainting it in a non-traditional color. In fact, I would argue that to redo it in the tradtional black is asking for trouble. There are some out there who would no doubt try to pass off a refurbished black machine as a "pristine" original.
Me, I have a fire engine red one and a soft breast-cancer pink one. If and when I find a suitable machine (ie. mechanically sound but cosmetically trashed) I would love a dark purple with orange, yellow, and red flames!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:20 PM

OH Dixiechunk you are a girl after my own heart. I want one painted red with flames. That's why I've been looking on ebay for one that's a little sad cosmetically, but strong of heart. Dressing her up will be so much fun for my husband, he does auto painting and can't wait for the challenge.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:45 PM

My niece gave me a 1934 Featherweight 221. I take it on retreats and to classes. As far as piecing goes, you simply cannot beat a Featherweight, I absolutely love mine!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:05 PM

An FW is way up there on my wish list. I would especially like one from my birth year-1955. Beacause our power goes out occasionally, and because Grams had one I loved, I would really love a tiger eye cabinet, 6 drawer, treadle. There was an absolutely beautiful one on e-bay about two months ago, but the bid went too high for me or so I thought. My DH was mad 'cuz I should have bid more. Oh well, maybe someday.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Banned

Oh that is so neat, How exciting. Congrats on your new toy. Penny