Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
is this a singer featherweight? >

is this a singer featherweight?

is this a singer featherweight?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned

"Vibrating Shuttle" instead of a round little bobbin that we are used to seeing, it is a barbell looking bobbin and goes into a shuttle that swing back and forth in an arc. It is the most soothing sound in the world listening to a VS machine sew!!!!

It is worth it in my book but it might be a little newer that it looks. They made that machine into the fifties, but it is in great cosmetic condition from the photos. Get the serial number from the seller and check out the date and how many machines were allotted for that run. It might be a low production run (the 128's were usually a low number run anyway) and worth even more.

Also it uses the standard 15x1 needles and the bobbins are readily available at Hancocks and possibly JoAnns in the notions section.

Billy
Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 PM

Hi Billy,
I thought the 128's had the top tension device on the side of the head, not the front facing you...Is that not the case?
Cathy in MA
Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mvjess
Hi Billy,
I thought the 128's had the top tension device on the side of the head, not the front facing you...Is that not the case?
Cathy in MA
Being a Singer VS machine and the bobbin winder position it can only be 1 of 2 machines and since its a 3/4 size its a 128.

Billy
Old 04-02-2010, 08:50 PM
JJs
Banned

the long bobbins I got from Hancocks do NOT work with the 28k I have - the new ones have a more rounded 'pin' on the ends than the old ones I have - a more pointed 'pin'...

If you go look at it, make sure it has the shuttle with it.. and at least one bobbin so you can play with it!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

I have had to tweak a couple of the new bobbins a little bit for my 27's but other than them being a tad shy in length they work great.

I think the quality control is off a bit with the company that makes them for Hancock Fabrics because the Class 66 bobbins I got for Christmas 4 or 5 of them would wobble and the bobbin winder would hit the sides of the bobbin. I had to true them up the best I could and still threw 3 of them away.

I do not have a 28 or 128 yet but I will have one before its over with!!! :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 04-02-2010, 09:12 PM

know that not one good price for sewing machine ,i have one just like that one i paid more my,s a hand crank one i can use anywhere no power needed i love my
Old 04-03-2010, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
It's a beautiful machine, not a featherweight, but still beautiful...and I'd pay the $60 for it....actually would probably offer $45 and see if they didn't take it.

I'm betting Billy will be able to tell you what it is...Model 66 maybe? (I'm not up enough yet on the different models!)
It is a lovely machine, but definitely not FW, the FW has a flip up extension left of the needle. There is another machine referred to as the FW's big sister, the 301A, I have two and love it. Has a carry handle and weighs about 14 lbs. great for travel.

I agree, I would offer $45, but would definitely pay $60. I have two of these I bought years ago at auction. I would also go check out the wiring, the camel back case. These can be verrry heavy and I would not want to carry it far -- but it is lovely.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:54 AM

It is not a Featherweight and it is not a 301a. It is probably a 66 or 99. It is much heavier than a Featherweight. A Featherweight will say 221 on the front. You can go to the Singer website and look up the serial number and get the birthday and birthplace.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:18 AM

It looks like it to me. I have one, and love it. If you get it for $60, and is in good shape, you are getting a great deal. My machine tech. told me someone came to him with one they bought for $10 at a garage sale, and it was in great condition.
I paid $500 for mine, but they go for all kinds of prices. Good luck with it!
Marta
Old 04-03-2010, 05:23 AM

It looks like a nice machine, but I don't think it is a feather weight.