Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing:shock: >

Paper piecing:shock:

Paper piecing:shock:

Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM

Oh my gosh Fireworkslover. Your quilt are breathtakingly beautiful. Both of them have perfects points that would be near impossible to do if not for paper piecing. That is the beauty of paper piecing for me. I would never attempt intricate patterns like your quilts if I couldn't find paper piecing versions. You do beautiful work. I think you are the Queen of PP on this board :)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by GrandmK
OK I have been following all the paper piecing long enough. This last thread has me wanting to give it a try. I am NOT good at math so suppose I will have trouble. Can someone tell me the very easiest pattern I should try??? I plan to just use scraps to learn
I think one of the easiest patterns is the Log Cabin. PP is a great way to use up scraps. Give it a try :P
Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by penny doty
Originally Posted by athenagwis
This is how I paper piece ....

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

It makes much more sense to me and I adore it, I will NEVER go back to the regular way of paper piecing again!

Cheers!
Rachel
thank you very much Rachel, and may you have a blessed Easter. Penny
You are so very welcome!! I used this method again this weekend and decided it was much quicker to fold the paper as I went rather than pre-folding, but of course it's harder to see the lines that way. But if you want to save a little time you could try folding as you go. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Rachel
Old 04-03-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
Oh my gosh Fireworkslover. Your quilt are breathtakingly beautiful. Both of them have perfects points that would be near impossible to do if not for paper piecing. That is the beauty of paper piecing for me. I would never attempt intricate patterns like your quilts if I couldn't find paper piecing versions. You do beautiful work. I think you are the Queen of PP on this board :)
Thanks Janet and everyone else, for the complements on my quilts. PP is really easy, once you get the hang of it. Like I said before, I'd never attempt to do sharp points, unless I use the pp method. I'm not one to cut up little pieces and sew them together. I've either strip pieced, pp or done one block - wonders. That's about all the methods I've tried, so far. Again, thanks and by the way all these quilts are in my house on walls.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:35 AM

For my "Starts Among Bees" quilt I hand drew and traced some of the patterns directly from a book by Karen K. Stone "Quilts". I used tracing paper which is much easier to tear off than regular paper, you put through your printer. I used many of her pattern arcs but did make up many of my own too. All these blocks are mix and match, so it's easy to make up your own design and not be copying what someone else has done, therefore making an original. That's what I prefer to do. I used a thin Sharpie marker and a short ruler.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Andii,
Here's my first paper pieced fireworks quilt titled "Rings and Stars", made in 2006. This was the first paper piecing I'd ever done. 144 blocks!
these quilts are wonderful. Makes me want to try PP again.
Because I do lots of hand piecing, I may try it by hand. maybe I can control it better.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:44 AM

I know the frustration with learning to paper-piece. It is fun after you have done a few more.
I don't do it very often but is fun once in awhile.
As for the using the pattern over, always have SCOTCH TAPE handy. Just scotch tape where you mess up and it works great!
Marta
Old 04-03-2010, 08:08 AM

There's a whole bunch more on this topic! Look up "Paper Piecing...love it or hate it". Happy Easter.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by penny doty
This is how I paper piece ....

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

It makes much more sense to me and I adore it, I will NEVER go back to the regular way of paper piecing again!

Cheers!
Rachel
thank you very much Rachel, and may you have a blessed Easter. Penny
You are so very welcome!! I used this method again this weekend and decided it was much quicker to fold the paper as I went rather than pre-folding, but of course it's harder to see the lines that way. But if you want to save a little time you could try folding as you go. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Rachel
thank you so very much. Penny
Old 04-04-2010, 05:00 PM

fireworkslover,
Your quilts are gorgeous. My favorite is rings and Stars because I love the blocks of colors. I can't imagine 144 pp blocks for the first project...I am in awe! Thanks for sharing.
Andii