Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Scissors are best? >

Which Scissors are best?

Which Scissors are best?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 AM

I have had my Singer scissors for years, since high school sewing classes in the 60's also Gingher are good.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:11 AM

I have a set of Dovo scissors which belonged to my grandmother. She passed away in 1983 in her middle 90's. The ones that she used most have all the gold worn off the handles. But they have never been sharpened and still cut like they were brand new. My large scissors are Ginghers but are lightweight...the heavy ones hurt my hands.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-44981.jpe
Views:	87
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	44981  
Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 AM

I would love to have a pair of Ginghers, but I bought a pair of Fiskers about 30 yrs ago when I bought my machine, have used them for everything that I have done. Granted I am not a sewer, but I have never had them sharpened and did do some sewing yrs ago. Now of course all quilting so you don't use scissors much.

I just go down when they get dull and buy the cheapy ones and Joanns. I have them all over the house on those things you can put around your neck so when I sew they are right there. I do have a pair of finger nail scissors that I love, now they are sharp, but got them for free and use them also for Applique. I see a lot agree with me, good luck.

Rita
Old 04-05-2010, 05:47 AM

GINGHER is the way to go - You'll have it forever! Just don't cut paper!! Happy Cutting!!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 AM

I am a Fiskars Girl---I have the soft touch handle ones and I love them. They are sharp, and very easy on my hands. I love that I can get my whole hand inside the handles. I have 3 pair, one for the ironing board, one at the cutting table and one at my sewing desk. I bought the sharpener for them and have only had to use it once on each one.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:12 AM

about 25 years ago I bought a pair of Ginghers - back then for a purchase like that I had to save a bit and I was so thrilled with them, later that day I came downstairs to find my 2 children had taken them out of the box and were cutting an aluminum can with them. I thought they would be ruined before I even had a chance to use them but to my surprise they were fine and I have been using them ever since. I've had them sharpened once and they still cut like new. My nippers are Mundial and they are great
Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Katie
about 25 years ago I bought a pair of Ginghers - back then for a purchase like that I had to save a bit and I was so thrilled with them, later that day I came downstairs to find my 2 children had taken them out of the box and were cutting an aluminum can with them. I thought they would be ruined before I even had a chance to use them but to my surprise they were fine and I have been using them ever since. I've had them sharpened once and they still cut like new. My nippers are Mundial and they are great
OMG, Katie...an aluminum can?? What would have possessed them to try that? Wow, I practically killed my kids when they used my good scissors to cut paper. LOL
Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM

I've used the Ginghers for years and have had them sharpened only rarely. Recently I won a "bag of goodies" at quilt guild which included a pair of scissors from Fons & Porter. I was skeptical, but I really like them and they cut all the way to the tip and more easily than the Ginghers! There was also a Fons & Porter rotary cutter in the bag which I am also really enjoying. It is the type that the blade comes out when you press down on it so there is no "opening and closing" of a guard to protect the blade and the user.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 AM

I like my Mundial, bought a set of three 20 years ago and still use them. The screw fell out of one pair and I notified the company, to see if they would replace screw, but they sent a whole new pair instead. Wonderful to deal with. I had Fiskars and I agree they don't last and Ginghars are too heavy for me.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:05 AM

Plus, if you buy Ginghers you can send them back for sharpening. It used to cost $15. Don't take them to Jo-Anns to the "scissor man." They'll be ruined. I've had mine at least 20 years and they're still great scissors, especially for left-handers.