Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who does free motion quilting? Share your tips with us! >

Who does free motion quilting? Share your tips with us!

Who does free motion quilting? Share your tips with us!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:41 AM

I'm not sure how you're doing it now but when I was using my Brother it had three max speed settings (thankfully my Bernina has a much wider range now). I would set it on the middle one so when I pressed my foot pedal, the max speed was set. This way it was basically an on/off deal. I didn't have to try and keep my foot pedal pressure even and worry about that. I could focus all my attention on what my hands were doing. You may already be doing this though.[/quote]

I never considered using the speed setting for FMQ! Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:09 AM

Thanks do much Geta! I enjoyed the tutorial. I think it will help me a lot.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 AM

What a beautiful day here.. during this particular forum I have really been trying to stuff within my mind the learning experiences for FMQ... I have not used my quilting halo as yet, had anyone who has one actually used and if so what were the results. I would think you could basically do stippling within it. I did get into the website with the video on how to do the filling the block with a fern type design. Has anyone had luck with using either "Bounce" or with using a removable marker to draw in a design for quilting? Thank you all
Old 04-02-2010, 10:13 AM

Lots of great tips. I look forward to trying them.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 AM

I have taken a few FMQ classes and done all the things folks suggest with practicing and all. But the real piece of info that helped me was from a Ricky Tims video. When you begin stitching make sure you have a stopping point in mind, if it is the end of a loop or line,but know where you will be stopping. I also find that speed is a personal preference, for some they say slow down, but for me it was to speed up, my hands were moving faster than my needle. It is a matter of finding your own timing and then it will click.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:54 AM

This has been the fourth recommendation for the Ricky Tims video.. Two here and two personal. I am going to jump in and buy a copy. I had asked several quilters that I have the previledge to know over the years and I had asked them about the (I think) Rick Tims modified quilting machine for lack of a better word. So far I have not heard to much along the lines of it being worth it. Since I am not independently wealthy unless my LOTTO ticket hits, I will concentrate on learning on my own with all the tips from all of you and if it's a very special piece then I will have it machine quilted. Normally this is very pricey, at least on my end of town, but I do have one woman who is rather reasonable since I always felt that sometimes to fancy and expensive overwhelms the quilt. She seems to be able to bring a very nice sense of design and balance to anything that she does for me as she knows that I am not that advanced. But I am still going to continue my own FMG as much as I can.
One more question.. Does spelling count?????
Old 04-02-2010, 11:32 AM

sorry you got the wrong info.
Try this one- http://www.daystyledesigns.com[/quote]

Thank you for sending me to Leah Day's blog. This is wonderful.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Here is the correct url.

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/
Old 04-04-2010, 07:14 AM

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Its fun once you realize you won't get perfect results for the first few years.....Relax...Its always looks cool once its done....
I do realize that bigger needle helps....
Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 AM

http://quiltingandsewing.com
Here is a site that shows what an extension for your sewing machine looks like.

I was given a beautiful solid oak sofa table from my aunt's estate which has to be over 80 years old. It sat behind my couch for 6 years until I went to Houston and took a class from Colleen "The Cluttergutter" girl at Quilt Festival. She was in a booth with another company "Quilt Sew Easy Discs". The booth was set up with 6 machines which all had a different height and some had extension tables, then you got to try eveything on the market for your hands doing machine quilting and FMQ.
So the bunch of us gave it a go. So as not to bore you we went away KNOWING how to do this.
1. My oak table got cut down to 22" from the floor. I remember my Auntie even more really using the table for my SM to sit on.
Here's how: Sit in the chair YOU will be using. Put your feet FLAT on the floor and put your fore arms parelell to the floor keeping your elbows at your sides.
2. That height (where your hands are) is how high the bed (from the floor) of your SM needs to be. Adjust your table that your SM sits on accordingly. I am 5'4 just as a reference.

Once I had my table cut down and my shoulders were not up around my chin :lol: , the neck ache and tiredness in my arms instantly went away!
3. The chair. It was worth the time spent to find one that was low enough to go under the table with me in it!!
4. The extension table made all the difference in the world it totally took all the drag off the fabric/project. and I use it for any and all sewing, besides it doubles my space because I can see through it. Thats where my stuff, clutter threads M&M's etc. go.
5. The best part.... Back at the booth, when we got to the 6th machine set up for FMQ that is when we tried the discs. Well ofcourse after using the finger tips, I could not think how anything would be any better. Well, sister and brother friends I am here to tell you I was in hog heaven!. 'Didn't have to take on and off the gloves or fingers, and the discs DO NOT SLIDE on the fabric. Easy to do little close quilting and move the quilt around just as easy. In my guild it is what I give to all new members..
6. Loosen your top tension depending on the thread you may like to tighten the tension. I play with the tension all the time and my machine is just fine. I like the difference using all the multitude of threads.
7. The needle must be sharp so change the needles frequently. A new needle is just as smooth as a sharpened knife. I prefer Microtex Needle size 18. If I use thick threads like a Jeans thread then try the 110 size. Just like butter. You do not need a big needle, you need the needle with a bigger eye, that is why jeans needles are not a good choice.
All this stuff really helped me. I dove in and did it, messed up some stuff and in a few weeks of practicing I get better everytime I do it.
8. If the project is hanging off the table it will pull (drag) and regardless of the tension set on your machine it will not look good. Roll up the quilt, fold it use bike clips or pin it. But keep all the project/quilt supported evenly.
Moral of the story..........if your table height is not correct neither is the FMQ.

:thumbup: