Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who does free motion quilting? Share your tips with us! >

Who does free motion quilting? Share your tips with us!

Who does free motion quilting? Share your tips with us!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj
sorry you got the wrong info.
Try this one- http://www.daystyledesigns.com
Great site. Thank you sew much.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kellys Table
http://quiltingandsewing.com
Here is a site that shows what an extension for your sewing machine looks like.

I was given a beautiful solid oak sofa table from my aunt's estate which has to be over 80 years old. It sat behind my couch for 6 years until I went to Houston and took a class from Colleen "The Cluttergutter" girl at Quilt Festival. She was in a booth with another company "Quilt Sew Easy Discs". The booth was set up with 6 machines which all had a different height and some had extension tables, then you got to try eveything on the market for your hands doing machine quilting and FMQ.
So the bunch of us gave it a go. So as not to bore you we went away KNOWING how to do this.
1. My oak table got cut down to 22" from the floor. I remember my Auntie even more really using the table for my SM to sit on.
Here's how: Sit in the chair YOU will be using. Put your feet FLAT on the floor and put your fore arms parelell to the floor keeping your elbows at your sides.
2. That height (where your hands are) is how high the bed (from the floor) of your SM needs to be. Adjust your table that your SM sits on accordingly. I am 5'4 just as a reference.

Once I had my table cut down and my shoulders were not up around my chin :lol: , the neck ache and tiredness in my arms instantly went away!
3. The chair. It was worth the time spent to find one that was low enough to go under the table with me in it!!
4. The extension table made all the difference in the world it totally took all the drag off the fabric/project. and I use it for any and all sewing, besides it doubles my space because I can see through it. Thats where my stuff, clutter threads M&M's etc. go.
5. The best part.... Back at the booth, when we got to the 6th machine set up for FMQ that is when we tried the discs. Well ofcourse after using the finger tips, I could not think how anything would be any better. Well, sister and brother friends I am here to tell you I was in hog heaven!. 'Didn't have to take on and off the gloves or fingers, and the discs DO NOT SLIDE on the fabric. Easy to do little close quilting and move the quilt around just as easy. In my guild it is what I give to all new members..
6. Loosen your top tension depending on the thread you may like to tighten the tension. I play with the tension all the time and my machine is just fine. I like the difference using all the multitude of threads.
7. The needle must be sharp so change the needles frequently. A new needle is just as smooth as a sharpened knife. I prefer Microtex Needle size 18. If I use thick threads like a Jeans thread then try the 110 size. Just like butter. You do not need a big needle, you need the needle with a bigger eye, that is why jeans needles are not a good choice.
All this stuff really helped me. I dove in and did it, messed up some stuff and in a few weeks of practicing I get better everytime I do it.
8. If the project is hanging off the table it will pull (drag) and regardless of the tension set on your machine it will not look good. Roll up the quilt, fold it use bike clips or pin it. But keep all the project/quilt supported evenly.
Moral of the story..........if your table height is not correct neither is the FMQ.

:thumbup:
sorry for the dumb question. but what is a disc? Penny
Old 04-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Here's a link to the discs:
http://www.thecrazyquilter.com/Items...weasydiscs.htm
Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM

I am LOVING this thread! Thanks to everyone who has contributed! Please keep the tips coming!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 PM

sorry for the dumb question. but what is a disc? Penny[/quote]

Questions are never dumb! That's how all of us learn. Thank you for asking, I found her direct shop phone number; the girl who makes these. Yup, another cottage business.
"Quilt Sew Easy Discs", Melody Schueline
503 720-8196
The discs hold onto fabric making it easy to manipulate, specially easy for arthritic hands, or latex sensitive. You just lay your hands on them, medium foot power and slower hand movement.....then you're off!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kellys Table
sorry for the dumb question. but what is a disc? Penny

Questions are never dumb! That's how all of us learn. Thank you for asking, I found her direct shop phone number; the girl who makes these. Yup, another cottage business.
"Quilt Sew Easy Discs", Melody Schueline
503 720-8196
The discs hold onto fabric making it easy to manipulate, specially easy for arthritic hands, or latex sensitive. You just lay your hands on them, medium foot power and slower hand movement.....then you're off![/quote]

thank you. Penny PS just dawned on me your from Portland, I live in Cornelius, OR about 23 miles away, but I don't drive to Portland.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 PM

I had remember hearing about these pads.. but had never explored them. I did order the quilting ring as a dear friend mentioned it. I had tried very briefly and kinda liked it for quilting in small free motion areas. I think I need to work with it a little more, but I really want to reach a point that I can do simple quilting and bring out the quilt that I had pworked so hard on. I do have a lady that is rather inexpensive compared to many and on very special quilts I will pay her to long arm quilt them. There is also a fantastic fabric shop within 13 miles of where I am and I am hoping to take long arm lessons. My problem is due to my disability, I cannot stand for long periods of time. So I would have to schedule using the machine when it's a smaller quilt that I want to do.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 AM

Has anyone else used the discs or the ring? Wondering which to purchase.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by lorniki
Has anyone else used the discs or the ring? Wondering which to purchase.
The ring was made first, then came the discs which are more usable because they are one in each hand. The smaller one is in the right hand as the opening from the machine is smaller and the larger one in the left hand makes it easy to move the quilt around , Wish I would have thought of that!
have a beautiful day
http://quiltingandsewing.com
Old 04-08-2010, 01:32 AM
Google Goddess

Wow, I have learned alot from all of you,

I am so happy that I started this thread, we learn from each other!